Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 ..... anyone using one ? ... if so a few quick questions ....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by benifin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Hey all

Re: the Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170

A few quick questions please:-

-> with the tones set flat, is this a totally flat / linear / neutral power amp ? -OR- is it "voiced" to sound like a "tube power amp" ?

-> is it Class D -or- Class AB ?

-> [subjectively speaking] is it loud enough for live use with a loud rock drummer / twin guitar rock band ?

-> is there a manual / freq chart for this thing ?

Ben

2. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

I'd be quite interested, too. Would also be interesting to know whether this would work with a FR speaker.

lazer111 likes this.
  3. Mincer

Mincer Member

No, it is voiced like a clean, flat power amp. It is class D, and very loud. One of the things it was designed to do is to work with a FR/FR speaker cab after a modeler (the modeler does all of the power amp/cab/mic modeling).

GtarLover likes this.
  4. lazer111

lazer111 Member

Quite interesting, I wonder if it could effectively and accurately work with a traditional guitar cab or FRFR speaker depending on the situation... hmmm

5. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

Yes either.

6. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Hm, I just read on a mini review that it exhibits a little overdrive/saturation when driven loud...

7. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Following - I have one of these on my next to buy list after I sell off a few things.

8. BoogieZilla

BoogieZilla Member

If it's the review at sweetwater, hard to know what was happening there. Maybe the input source was hitting it too hard, maybe the speakers were being pushed too far, or maybe it does indeed breakup up in a bad way when driven very loudly... Or any combination of the above.

9. dbagchee

I'm basically trying decide between this + mesa thiele 1x12 cab or just straight FRFR like my Alto TS112A (or upgrade to QSC K8.2 or K10.2).

BoogieZilla likes this.
  10. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Ask @JiveTurkey his thoughts on recent experiments in this area :D

11. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I am in the midst of composing a frustration PM as we speak :anon; :bkw; reverse- :drinkand anything else anger related

12. JiveTurkey

Here's the skinny. Positioned right in the room; a modeler through an amp through a guitar cab is absolutely awesome. I liked FRFR just fine but when compared to a properly placed and cranked up cab; it's definitely less fun. That being said; I am having serious doubts about my synth stuff. What was great on my own at home sounds not good at all. Part of it is the rig but part of it is also the sounds I am using with my FTP. Ugh is the operative word. If you are wanting cranked up amp feel and tone using a modeler and are prepared to have the occasional off night tonally because of the usual factors; a guitar cab is awesome. FRFR is definitely more consistent, if albeit a little less inspiring in comparison.

dbagchee likes this.
  13. dbagchee

Yeah leaning towards the PowerStage but I'll probably give the FRFR one more go at rehearsal before I pull the trigger.

14. leperclown

leperclown Member

Definitely!

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I agree with the Jive Turkey. Here's where I am on this:

For playing at home, using a power amp plus guitar cab is a lot more enjoyable than using FRFR (unless you're playing really loudly -- things kind of balance out at high volumes) -- especially since I can position my body and ears in the 'sweet spot' in the room relative to the cab. But on gigs, using the FRFR is more convenient, and in the context of the on-stage mix (and using earplugs :(), the tones are close enough to what I'd get using a guitar cab, AND, I don't have to deal with the beaming issues from guitar cabs.

Plus it's a lot less to carry and set-up, especially since I have to bring a vocal monitor (FRFR) to most of my gigs anyway.

So, to the OP: The answer is: you need both. And one more thing:

I finally did a semi-serious side-by-side comparison between my Yamaha DXR10 and an Alto TS110a (I own 2 of those that I use as vocal monitors for singers) using my Helix. No comparison. The DXR10 was much better sounding. So I wouldn't recommend the Alto unless you're on a strict budget.

dbagchee and JiveTurkey like this.
  16. lazer111

lazer111 Member

This ^. Same boat! Do I order a Powerstage (sight unseen, no one stocks em here in Canada to try) or keep working with a FRFR Yorkville Elite E10P, which is sounding really good so far... at home with a Helix I like it better than my DRRI...but haven't gigged it yet

But a separate power amp would let you choose! Tempted to try a QSC pwr amp through my DRRI speaker, and/or a FRFR... totally wondering the same as OP

What throws me is the marketing speak "beautiful clean preamp", "sweet warm sound"...it is transparent or not?

Would a Powerstage give a similar result as a (separate) high power amp like QSC/Crown? Has anyone compared Powerstage to these?

I don't wanna order one just to pay a restocking fee :(

dbagchee likes this.
  17. JiveTurkey

First practice through a 2x12 last week; the guitar tones from my Kemper were just out of this world. Last night, same rig, cab in a slightly different spot and I just could not jive with it. Both types of cabs sound better the louder they are, but the guitar cab has a more pronounced positive effect to me when turned up in comparison to the FRFR. I'm sold overall but not sure how much of a "tonal improvement" I'm making going this route. Maybe someday when I don't need to play the d@mn flute on a flying V :mad::rotflmao

lazer111 likes this.
  18. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I wound up with a PowerStage 700 because it gives me so many more options as compared to the PS170, a traditional power amp, or a guitar amp. I can run the outputs into a guitar cab, into a mixer (via the XLR outs, with or without cab sim), or both. The usual disclaimer applies -- this thing costs too much (but I found a used one).

LordByron and dbagchee like this.
  19. dbagchee

Yeah for me the primary thing is if it has enough clean headroom to compete with my heavy handed drummer. It also needs to be compact as I have limited cargo space in my new vehicle (going from a Toyota Tacoma to a Mazda Miata is a big transition :D). Last time I used the Alto it was in a small room with it on the floor in wedge position. There was enough enough volume for me but drummer and bass player had a hard time hearing it - it was "just enough" but i was running out of headroom. Running my Rectoverb 25 is about perfect - not a ton of headroom left but I have a little room to turn up and it sounds good - however as a modeling power amp it starts to get harsh at the same volumes. I know I'll prefer a real cab to the FRFR, but if I can't get enough headroom out of a compact unit like the PowerStage then I'll probably focus on FRFR solutions.

lazer111 likes this.
  20. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Sirloin has posted about the 170 in the Amp forum. It sounds pretty solid considering he compared his hand wired Germino head and a SS MIAB pedal with the 170 and the difference wasn't night and day.

The Rectoverb is 'only' 25watts and that is likely farting out and turning into a bit of a mess wattage. You're not going to get 25 clean watts out of it. 170 'authentic' SS watts (if SD aren't telling porkies) are going to be clearly louder and provide you with far more headroom for a modeller.

I believe SD market the amp is 'flat' but SD do also say it's like the 'preamp' of a Twin Reverb which clearly isn't flat. Maybe you can read into it that with everything set at noon it's flat and with some EQ sculpting it becomes like a Twin (which I gather used to be a popular pedal platform).

The Kingsley demos on YT sound pretty good. Will it replace a quality tube power amp? No it won't but as a tiny amplification device and a backup it's an excellent idea. The thing that always kills SS power amps for me is the lack of TMB controls. It's like SD saw the light.

BoogieZilla and dbagchee like this.