Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 ..... anyone using one ? ... if so a few quick questions ....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by benifin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

This is pretty promising

JiveTurkey, BoogieZilla and Mincer like this.
  2. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

^^^ This is good :)

^^^ This is not good :(

Aim is to use it to cleanly / flatly / neutrally amplify a Helix and Kemper into my real 2x12 Celestion Cab.

How on earth - without buying one - does one find out what this unit actually is ??
    .... especially given I cant find a manual or freq chart / plot / detailed freq specs .... !?!?!?

The fact that its designed to go on your pedal board .... after your drives / efx / delays etc..... makes me think that it actually is voiced like an existing tube-pre / tube-power amp .... and not flat / clean / nuetral like a Matrix Power Amp ???

Ben

3. Mincer

Mincer Member

I don't think it sounds like a Twin, at all...that description might only help people who don't know that a Twin has a certain sound. It sounds flat. You need some sort of preamp before it (modeler, pedal, etc). Personally, I haven't heard it distort even at high volumes.

BoogieZilla, lazer111 and benifin like this.
  4. zarl

zarl Member

I've been running the PS170 for months now with a Helix LT or a GP-10 thru either a Mesa 1-12 or a 2-12 cab. This replaced a Magnum 44 or a Rectoverb 25 effects return. To me, the 170 sounds pretty clean up to very high volumes with loud drummers. Nowhere near the coloration of the Magnum 44 or Recto 25 poweramp. I'd say it's close to the Kemper's 600watt poweramp in this kind of setup -- that is, pretty flat. I like it better than running a DXR8 or a K10 in a FRFR setup that I occasionally use when I need to mix in acoustic or synth sounds.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. benifin

Appreciate the advice / clarification :)

Ive just noticed that the P/Stage 700 has a 110/220v international power supply built in ..... do you know if the current shipping versions of the P/Stage 170 also have a 110/220v international power supply built in (?)

Would strike me as strange that one has i/national power and one doesnt have i/national power (?)

Ben

6. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Thanks for the info - sounds like the PowerStage 170 should work perfect for me then.

7. GtarLover

GtarLover Supporting Member

I have the SD 170, as well as Matrix GT1000 and a Quilter Pro Block 200.
    Using ANY of these is basically an excellent way to go, IMHO.
    All have enough Volume thru a 4X12 or whatever you choose, to be heard in the mix.
    How do I know, I've gigged with all of them.

The big differences between these amps are in their features and their footprint. And their prices.
    Quilter Pro Block 200 is about 8"X7" and has a variety of knobs for tonal adjustment, built-in reverb, plus it has 2 speaker outs. Retail $499
    Matrix GT1000FX is a rack mount unit (1 or 2 spaces), no tonal adjustment features, yet has A and B stereo speaker outs and a bridged out option. Retail $799
    SD Power Stage 170 is about 5"X5", has Treble, Mid, Bass knobs for tonal adjustment, and a SINGLE speaker out. $399

So, if you only need a single speaker out, the SD 170 is a great choice for smaller footprint, with T,M,B tonal shaping options, and in my experience plenty of volume. The only caveat is if you want to use a pair of cabs, you will need to move up to something else to get the 2 speaker outs.
    I personally have enjoyed using a power amp/cab set-up. A big reason is the quick tonal shaping options that are available, since different venues lend themselves to different EQ needs from the stage. Quick to adjust and DONE.

As far as the FRFR choice, if you don't get a "GOOD" FRFR speaker set-up, you will most likely be disappointed in the results. That is also my experience. I have tried K12's (not bad, yet colored), Atomic CLR (better, clearer), and ran thru some "less than optimal" speakers as well, like the Alto (just not very good for FRFR). To be happy with this solution, you simply need to get the "BEST" you can afford and realize, unless you are in that upper echelon, you aren't getting actual FRFR, your sound is being colored, simple as that.

All that said, the SD 170 works great and has always been enough volume wise. The Quilter and the Matrix are also great amps.
    Biggest question is what are YOUR needs and what's most important to you?
    Best of Luck

8. benifin

Thanks.

I have a Matrix GT800 so that is my "standard".

Im just looking for something "non-rack" and "smaller" which I can integrate in to my real 2x12 Celestion [150w] cab .... but .... and here is my dilema ...... I want it to be as flat / linear / clean / neutral as my Matrix.

So ...... from your experiece with your Matrix GT1000 ..... and putting relative total volume levels aside ....... how does the P/Stage 170 compare to your Matrix GT1000 in terms of flatness / linearity / cleanness / neutrality ?

Ben

djd100 likes this.
  9. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Only the 700 model has the international power supply. The 170 models are configured at the factory for different voltages so you have to make sure you buy the right one.

Mincer likes this.
  10. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

For those that have lingering questions about the two PS models, I found the Seymour Duncan user group (subforum "Amplifier Central") to be really useful. There are some SD techs that are active there and the mods are also good about running the tough questions past the company engineers if it's something no one else can answer.

benifin, Mincer and dbagchee like this.
  11. Mincer

Mincer Member

Well, there is a big price difference between them. The 700 is the only one with international power.

12. benifin

Actually - thats a great idea - Im a p/u lounge member .... should have posted there first :) :(

Mincer likes this.
  13. lazer111

lazer111 Member

Hahaha yea, that's a BIG transition fo sho!!:D

dbagchee likes this.
  14. johnnyelgato

johnnyelgato Member

I have two friends in town using the helix with the power stage 170 into a 1x12 oases with an 4ohm eminence Texas heat- it’s working quite well for them. I’m getting mine later this month!

Frank Ritchotte and BoogieZilla like this.
  15. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I wrote to Seymour Duncan and they will not sell the international 220-240v version of the Powerstage 170 in the USA. (for anyone interested if they might buy it in the US and carry it overseas for gigs, travel). You have to buy from an international dealer.

When I asked who I might get one from the rep wrote "Thailand or China", so yeah customer support is not great.

I'm moving to Vietnam and you can't even buy one there so that sucks...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. Mincer

Mincer Member

There might be other reasons they can't sell it to you other than 'they just don't want to', however.

17. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Lol, I realize that...I'm not some kid, I've been playing/touring with pro country artists for several years.
    I just thought customer service might be more helpful on how I could go about buying one/having it shipped or whatever.

18. benifin

Posted this on the SD forum, so just "broadening" my base's :) ....

According to the SD website

=> P/S 170 will deliver 170w @ 4 ohm

and

=> P/S 700 will deliver 175w @ 16 ohm [non bridged - assuming of course the PS 700 can "handle" 16 ohm ... which I suspect would not be an issue]

However .... critically ...... the SD website does not [seem to] say if these figures are "Peak" -or- "RMS" ... (?)

If they are "Peak' ...... which I would assume they are ..... anyone know what the actual "RMS" wattage ratings for the PS 170 are... (?)

Reason I need to know this ? .... My 2 x 12 Cab is 4 ohm 150w RWS ...... *if* the SD PS 170w @ 4 ohm is Peak ..... that means its probably 80w <-> 100w RMS so it will match my Cab perfectly ..... :) ..... however, if the PS 170w @ 4 ohm is RMS, its going to be a bit risky for my cab .... I really dislike :( blowing speakers ..... and mis-matching SS / Class D amps to speakers makes it way too easy to do this :) :(

Ben

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  19. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Fun fact:,Max Gutnik the guy st SD behind this product (and all their products) was the VP of products here while a Helix was in development. I think you will be very happy relative it’s performance with a Helix :)

LordByron, hotrats73 and dbagchee like this.
  20. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

And Max is a great guy and shredder extraordinaire from the 80s