Seymour Duncan Pups VS Suhr Pups for Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by BluesHarp, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Supporting Member

I have a MIM strat ( poly finish ) with a Fender Deluxe maple neck on it. I have 2 sets of pickups. The SD APS-1's and the SSL-5 in the bridge. And I have a Suhr V60LP set. Could I get a good description of which is the better choice? Or, what are the pros and cons between the two?

I am playing alot of hendrix and srv...Im looking for a rich vintage vibe with that something tasty in the mids. Is there another set of pickups I should look into? Sorry if this has been beaten to death.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the stock mexi's are screw-cap fortified wine, the duncans are a good bottle of jack daniels, and the suhrs are the fine, small-batch single malt scotch. use the suhrs.

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

V60LP's are excellent pickups.

4. BluesHarp

I did AB them and it seems like the suhrs had a more pronounced high end and also seemed hotter. A nice bell like sound was my best impression. The SD's were more polite... but in a good way. Because I like a warmer sound that doesnt twing as much. ( twing?? Slice?? ) I have been turning my amps treble way down with the suhrs. Havent tried lowering the pickups, but may due to excessive stratitis.

Ive heard of WCR SR's, JM Ralphs and Lollar Blondes.. how do they compare to the above pickups... sonically.

Has anybody here even tried the SD aps-1's and the ssl-5 in bridge?
    [​IMG]

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Duncan APII's are about the warmest smoothest single coils I like ,alot mellower than the Suhr's But live the Suhr's cut ALLOT better .

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

The Suhrs do have more edge to them I keep them low in the guard. I have another strat with SSL-1 in the bridge and Alnico II's in the middle and neck and it's a wonderful sounding guitar as well.

On another note I just installed a set of Sheptone AB Customs (straight wind - no rwrp) in a swamp ash strat with a one piece maple neck and it's one of my favorite sounding strats now. I actually like these better than my V60LP's. http://sheptone.com

7. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Blues Harp,

Your duncans are alnico II, and the suhrs are Alnico 5, hence the suhrs being louder and brighter and twangier.

If you like warmer, stick with the alnico II, and put a Alnico II Duncan twangbanger in the bridge. THat's a good even matched setup for a strat. Versatile too.

Walter - Good descriptions of the pickups indeed. I think Duncans are, like Jack Daniels, GREAT bang for the buck.

8. Jray

Jray Gold Supporting Member

Although this thread is about pickups... personally I wouldn't overlook a bridge change or at the least, a block upgrade. The older MIM's have narrow string spacing on the bridge that does not line up well with aftermarket p'ups. They also have a zinc block which can sound thin/weak and bright. Depending on how old your MIM is a bridge assembly change could involve doweling and re-drilling. This is not needed on current production MIM's. I'm sure with a bit of research one can find out if their MIM falls in the category of older prouction where the string spacing is narrow or if it is more current and uses standard string spacing.
    The bridge assembly, or, even just the block can alter your tone and other sonic attributes greatly. It is a worthy upgrade.
    Anyway, I have a set of Sheptone AB's and they are great. ***I got to go now, grrr! Will follow up later.

9. BluesHarp

I did upgrade to a steel block and it increased the response and volume in a good way. I am looking at the Gallaham hardware, and hope that they live up to the hype... or if it is worth doing now that I have a steel block anyway. Id love to have the fender deluxe bridge ( the 2 point locking tremelo assembly ) but having to remount and drill new holes is a very exact thing right? It would suck if you didnt drill in the right spot.

Ok TwangBanger VS my SSL-5? Wouldnt that be a bit too..uh, twangy?

Have you guys heard of the Kinman Woodstock Plus pups.. with the K9 harness? WOWOWOWOWOW!!! THOSE sound fricN awesome!

Alnico 5 on the Suhrs V60lp's? That explains it!!! Thanks!