Seymour Duncan Pups VS Suhr Pups for Strat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I have a MIM strat ( poly finish ) with a Fender Deluxe maple neck on it. I have 2 sets of pickups. The SD APS-1's and the SSL-5 in the bridge. And I have a Suhr V60LP set. Could I get a good description of which is the better choice? Or, what are the pros and cons between the two?

I am playing alot of hendrix and srv...Im looking for a rich vintage vibe with that something tasty in the mids. Think old/warm/rusty/creamy. Is there another set of pickups I should look into? Sorry if this has been beaten to death.
    [​IMG]

2. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

The Suhr V60LP rock for the vintage vibe. I also love the Suhr FL Standard single coil as well for a more aggressive take on the classic sound. For a more classic, sixties, hendrix sound the V60LPs are great. The APS-1's are nice as well, but I felt they were too 'polite' for the Hendrix, SRV vibe.

3. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I did AB them and it seems like the suhrs had a more pronounced high end and also seemed hotter. A nice bell like sound was my best impression. The SD's were more polite... but in a good way. Because I like a warmer sound that doesnt twing as much. ( twing?? Slice?? ) I have been turning my amps treble way down with the suhrs. Havent tried lowering the pickups, but may due to excessive stratitis.

Ive heard of WCR SR's, JM Ralphs and Lollar Blondes.. how do they compare to the above pickups... sonically.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Has anybody here even tried the SD aps-1's and the ssl-5 in bridge?

5. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

The Lollar Blondes are nice as well. Lower output and I believe they are Alnico II or ALnico III magnets. I much prefered the Lollar Blackface Pickups to the Blondes myself. Very sweet, warm but still had some bite and aggressiveness. I still prefered the V60LP a little bit over the Lollars. It could have to do with the Lollars having the as standard flat pole pieces. I think the vintage staggered versions might sound a little different.

The V60LP were always very warm and vintage sounding to me, so I would imagine you are suffering from stratitis. I never thought of them as having a pronounced high end. They have a good deal of midrange compared to the Suhr FL or Lollar Blackface which are more scooped sounding. The V60LP sound a little closer to the Lollar Blondes though the V60LP are hotter and more aggressive. Adjust the pickups heights on the V60LP's and see if that helps at all.

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I continued to AB the 2 sets and I still think ( with this guitar anyway ) that the SD's are just richer in the mids when ran through my pedals/amps. And this is after readjustment of pickup height and pedals/amps eq for the suhrs. The suhrs are awesome in a clean distinct way, and DO sound vintage... but the louder bite is a turn off for my sound I guess. I want that warm warm pronounced midrange.

I can always add more bite through treble/tone/prescence knobs via my pedals and amps when using a more balanced/flat strat tone... but its a different sound when you try to take it away from a bright/pronounced high end before you hit your line... if you understand.

Heres another thought: Louder hotter pups VS tame cleaner less roudy pups. INTO pedals = sound achieved. How does the sound of the drive of the pedals change? Even if you adjust the unity and gain either way... isnt the end result different? Sort of like comparing the difference between running your guitar/board dirty into a amp set clean VS running your guitar/board semi dirty into a amp on the verge of breakup. Make any sense?

So you think those blondes are closer in comparison to the SD's? I think they are alnico 2 magnets.. Ive never even heard of alnico3's. What's the difference?

7. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Alnico II magnets will tend to be softer,warmer and sweeter than Alnico V magnets. I believe Alnico III magnets were originally used on the 1954 stratocasters, I believe Lindy Fralin sells a set using these magnets called Real 54's. Fralin says they are brighter and have more lower mids. The Duncan pickups might be what you are looking for or maybe the Lollar Blondes. GVCG was using custom made Lollar pickups with Alnico III magnets as well.

The hotter your pickups for the most part the more midrange you will have added to the sound. You will get more drive out of your effects than with lower output pickups. It is hard to say how the sound of your drive pedal will change as I am unable to hear your sound but usually the hotter the pickup, the more gain you will be able to pull from the pedal.