Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker quit working

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by deathrider817, May 8, 2016.

1. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I have never had a electric guitars pickup quit working. .I bought the pickup new about a year ago, had it in the guitar I just finished completely re-doing, After I took it out of the guitar I stored it in the original plastic box for about 6 weeks..took it out today, wired and sautered it up and plugged into amp and it sounded terrible, like maybe only one of the coils working, so I took it out and did the volt meter resistance test and came up with the highest reading about 7.4 ohms..and I metered it new and it was 16.87 ohms..what can happen, wires breaking on the bobbins, in the lead wire etc ? I stripped the lead wire down several inches and the readings were the same but fluctuating around 7.4 ohms..sucks because I love the Dimebucker! !

2. DR5Guy

DR5Guy Member

Try measuring each coil individually.

3. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I got it up and running again.when I removed the pickup from the body,there was some sauter that dropped onto the copper shielding tape and was creating the problem..also the multi-meter I was using might be messed up after re-biasing an amplifier,so I brought out my new auto-ranging meter and it read 17.09 ohms,thats more like it,,so I wired it back up and it sounds great!

DR5Guy likes this.
  4. Mincer

Mincer Member

Whew! Yeah, usually pickups don't 'go bad' from storage. Happy it is working now.

deathrider817 likes this.