seymour duncan shape shifter question about noise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhr1948, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

i've read around and some seem to say its dead quiet. To begin with, i have a shape shifter that made a very loud wooshing sound at the rate of the tremolo when the pedal was engaged. Recently, I sent it to SD and they fixed it. Here's where i kick myself in the a$$. When it came back to me, i plugged it into a little roland cube street and didn't have my ear on the speaker. I was pleased the noise was gone.

I decided to perform the volume mod and put in a 10k trimpot. So I put my ear to the speaker to figure out which turn of the trimpot increases the volume and i hear a faint noise that is related to the speed of the tremolo.

Bottom line, does anyone have even the slightest noise when the pedal is engaged (and you're not playing)? If this is not normal, does anyone have suggestions what might be causing it to do that?
    Thanks

2. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

3. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I had one about a year ago. I dont remember any noise issues with it at all, 'twas a cool pedal.

4. salsage

salsage Member

no noise issues here either.

I love the pedal, I just wish it had a smaller footprint

5. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

i agree with the footprint.

well, i wish i had been more thorough when i checked the pedal after it came back from Seymour Duncan.

Either it wasn't completely fixed when it came back (the sound is nowhere loud as it was when i sent it, once again i hear it when my ear is near the speaker) or i messed something up when replacing the R6 with the trimpot.

Dang, i really like the sound of the pedal. :(

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

No noise problems here either. It will not add any of its own noise floor, and you can easily hear that if you give a signal with a low noise floor to begin with.

7. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

Thanks to all that have given input. I like this pedal, but things took a turn for the worse. I have been testing the pedal out with a guitar with minihums, so i decided to test it out with my Gretsch. For some reason there is a clicking sound (related to the rate). I thought, let me pull out my better gretsch and same thing. plugged in my original guitar no clicking sound, just that light rate sound (which is also present with the Gretsch's)
    Sucks!
    The Seymour Duncan repair receipt says it replaced D1. It looks like its placed kind of funny and crooked, however, i'm no expert. Does anybody's look like this?
    [​IMG]

8. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

anyone mind "changing" their batteries on their Shape Shifters, therefore giving you a reason to glance at the board?

:)

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Sorry, mine is a permanent part of my main pedalboard, and is powered with an adaptor... The only time that something went wrong (an old One Spot must have fried it), they changed the PCB without bothering to start welding stuff on and off.

10. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

thanks lux (love the name, he'll be missed)

so, i realized why there was a clicking sound, it was completely unrelated to the pedal or guitar.

anyway, i jumped on a tc modulator (has tremolo) from craigslist because it was a pretty awesome deal. today i listened to it and realized even the tc modulator has a faint white noise that goes in and and with the tremolo rate.

So is this normal with tremolo pedals & amps? am i being too picky? I've never really used tremolo before. btw, i'm running the pedals in front of the amp and not throught the loop.

For the record, what i'm calling white noise is just the noise you have when your guitar is plugged into your amp (not an additional noise). So the typical noise your amp makes when your not playing but volume is on. That's what is oscillating.

11. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Yes, I know what you mean... this happens when you already give it a signal that is a bit noisy. It is the same thing that you would happen if you had a volume pedal at this spot. If you have a low noise floor with good pickup shielding and good powering/filtering, then the Shape Shifter will probably not magnify it at all.

12. jhr1948

jhr1948 Member

ok, so if there's even the slightest noise and the tremolo is on, i will hear the tremolo rate through the speakers.

I think i'm being too picky. Its pretty inaudible, when I'm standing away from the speakers, I really don't hear it. If I put my ear up to the speakers, i can hear the floor noise cycling at the tremolo rate set.

I kept hearing ppl calling the Shape Shifter dead quiet, I guess they must have some seriously low floor noise.