Seymour Duncan SSL-5 - Suhr V70 - Don Mare SS: In phase?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Myron Stratis, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Anyone knows anything about the polarity of these pups? I have Don Mare Super Sports, waiting to try a set of Suhr V70's and I will also try a SD SSL-5 in the bridge.

I would like them to be in phase because I am using the Suhr Silent coil system.

2. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I know that Seymour Duncans are out of phase with Fender pickups so if you have any experience between Fender, Don Mare and Suhr pups that would help too:)

3. ianb

ianb Member

And I know that my Suhrs are reversed in relationship to my Don Mares.

You will need 3 pickups with the same phase to work with the backplate, with the three you mentioned, I don't think it is possible.

4. Mr God

Mr God Member

Let me know if you find some pickups that are better than the super sports.. it's what I've been using the past few years and I'm tired of experimenting :)

5. ianb

ianb Member

No can do, sorry. My favorites!

6. Mr God

Mr God Member

Haha, good to hear but I meant the OP. But if you ever happen across something better, give me a PM :)

It's funny, I got these super sports like 5 years ago. Never ran into anyone using them back then, now it seems I see them on TGP every day!

7. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Super sports are wonderful pups, had them for 4 years. I think that I need something "rockier", especially in the bridge position. My Haar strat is a very resonant, detailed and bright instrument and I think that I need a higher output pickup in the bridge position to make it less "quacky" (SSL-5). But I still can't wait to try the v70's even thought they are super low output.

So I will experiment with the full v70 set and then try the SSL-5 on the bridge. Let's see.

8. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

The SSl-5 is wound to 13K which may be outside the range of the Suhr Silent coil system's effectiveness.

Duncan makes a silent version of the SSL-5.

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I know, I was just looking at it :(

10. Kostas

Kostas Member

I believe S.D. pickups are in phase with Fender, you can read more here:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/pickup-polarity-and-phase-made-simple/

I wanted to mix Suhrs & Duncans but in the end I didn't do it, here's John's reply to my question http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=18181533&postcount=7