Seymour Duncan SSL-5 vs STK-6

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, Mar 2, 2012.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I'm trying to decide between these two pickups that I want to put into the bridge of my strat. I currently already have and STK-6 in both my neck and middle positions, so I'm thinking that completing the set is the best thing to do, but I can't help but compare and contrast.

I absolutely love the sound of the STKs that I have now, but the SSL-5 is a cheaper alternative. I like the SSL-5 because of this, and that it is a player pick of David Gilmour. I love his tone, but the SSL-5 is not hum cancelling. Is it a really noisy single coil, or is it relatively quiet?

What do you all think?

2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Somebody's got to know a thing or two about these pickups.

3. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

Isn't the tone of the two supposed to be similar?

PS: I am going to be scouping up some Duncan stacks (STK-S6) within the next week or so for my strat (neck & middle w/a hot hum in the bridge). To the OP: How do you like your neck and middle pickups? Tone on par with true singles? Hows the output? Hotter than vintage like Duncan Says?

4. Blix

Blix Member

Never tried the STK-6 so I can't comment how similar it is to SSL-5.
    I know Duncan says "Patented Stack Plus design with a voice familiar to the SSL-5 Custom" though.

I would say the SSL-5 isn't noisier than other singles I use, but then again I have never ever been bothered by SC hum. And I use them with high gain most of the time.