Seymour duncan tweak fuzz vol mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've just acquired a rather splended SD TF, love the options on hand, however unity gain is at around 3 o'clock on the vol pot, which is simply not enough to punch an amp with mild break up into singing sustain teritory.
    I only paid 50 euros for it so maybe it's a dud.
    Any other users have a similar problem??????
    J.

2. Shnook

Shnook Member

I had one and it was like yours. Unity gain around 3:00. The Tweak Fuzz had the potential to be a really cool pedal. It does have a lot of good fuzz options. BUT.... I couldn't get it to play well with other pedals. And unity being at 3:00 was a problem. Tried boosting it but got all kinds of noise. And not good useable noise. For what it is, it's fun, but I just couldn't make it work on my board in a band situation.

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I've just found a mod which involves replacing one resistor and removing another to increase the effected output dramatically.
    I haven't tried it with other pedals yet as I was looking for something to use as a standalone unit for blues gigs.
    Sounds great with a touch of break up though.
    I'll try the mod and see what happens....

wish me luck!

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

5. Curly

Curly Member

here's the mod from Duncan's site:

The Tweak Fuzz uses surface mounted components, but each component is flanked by through-holes. So you can mount any through hole part in place of the surface mount. For this mod, if you're a precision solderer, you can actually use the surface mount resistor to do the mod, and literally purchase nothing.

Step-by-step:

First, open the unit and remove the nuts on the jacks so the main board comes out. Flip it over. This output mod involves R4 and R5 only. Remove R4 and throw it away. Next remove R5 and if you can save it, AND if you are good enough at soldering SMT's, use it as R4. It's an 8.2k, 1/8 watt resistor. You can also go to Radio Shack or wherever, and buy a through hole resistor and mount it in the through holes already set up for you around R4. Then jump R5 with a piece of wire. Done.

Simple explanation:

Replace R4 with R5 (or new 8.2k) and short R5.

Then turn the volume DOWN! The pedal will be much louder. Have fun.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

yep. that's what I've just done, it's an old FF mod. You can hear the difference if you compare my vid to the official one.

7. BarnyardBill

BarnyardBill Member

Hello, I am fairly new to DIY effects and I also just did the mod and it makes it open up nicely. I was kinda scared about those tiny resistors, but I finally got it. I forgot how small those things really are. Thanks for the mod!..................... And those tiny transistors are just darling.
    :aok

P.S. do they have a soldering laser or something to get those tiny components so perfectly soldered?

8. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Did the volume mod yesterday on one that I just bought. Works well. I only had a 10k resistor around and its almost TOO much. I am going to try to find somethign smaller.

Any other mods that shoudl be done on this thing?

9. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I did the volume mod the other day too, it really makes the pedal usable. I'm planning on changing out some of the switchable input cap values, I'll report back on anything noteworthy (heh).