Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dougb415, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I'm really interested in this box. I don't see a lot of comments here and was wondering what others thought of it. I'd like some extra dirt choices for my Budda combo and I like that this box uses tubes.

Thoughts/comments?

2. rnm14

rnm14 Member

Had one about a year ago. Nice box, I got some great rythm sounds out of it. Leadsounds were a bit raspy. That and the lack of seperate eqs lead to selling it rather quickly.

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

it flat out rules. so versatile and quiet and sweet sounding. I just leave it on all the time, and use it as a boost/eq. if you keep the gains down, it just adds hugeness on channel 1, and Marshall-ness on channel 2. it's just a great, unique, underrated pedal. and in front of a good tube amp, it's magic.

4. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

I have one and I think it sounds and feels great. I posted a review on Harmony Central when I first got it. I'm not using it or any other pedals right now as I'm enjoying just plugging straight into my '57 RI Tweed Deluxe right now for a change.

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I had one for a good while ...
    Would say it's mostly Fender Clean type of amp friendly ...

You need to stay away from amps with too much low Mids or bass,
    because the bass can get very flubby even if you have it turned all the way off on the TTC and/or the on the amp ...

6. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

It's the greatest dirt box ever.

7. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Monday I auditioned both the Duncan and the Tonebone Classic. Spent a good deal of time with them, and I was playing a nice Les Paul into a BF Super Reverb. I was impressed with both but I ended up buying the Tonebone because to me it had all the sounds of the Duncan but more stones. The cool thing about the Duncan is that it's switchable between clean and mean, but I just liked the sound of the TB better. I get a good clean from my amps. YMMV!

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Thanks for the replies, folks... it sounds like this pedal should work well with my Budda amp. I like the option of 4 different channels (in a sense): Budda clean, Budda drive, TT rhythm, TT lead.

9. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Well, we stopped in the Nashville GC on the way back from Indiana and picked up a TT. I got around 10 minutes to play with it last night, but so far VERRRY NICE.

10. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

what budda do you have? i might be able to try a buddy's out with my sd18 tonight. unless he sold it (might have...)

budda's are pretty dark / complex in the mids. can be beautiful in its cleans, but its not exactly a fender sound. too many mids, not enough treble. i recently really like mine with my zendrive into a blues driver for rhythm tones, and the budda gain for killer leads and heavy stuff.

just me though... i really like the twin tube through my buddy's vox for open OD, but he replaced it with a fulldrive mosfet because the second channel didnt really do it for him

11. dougb415

dougb415 Member

See my sig - off to play!

12. Sol

Sol Member

Have you ever tried one of the Budda valve pedals? There are two, one is the 'Zenman' I think, it may be just more of the same though..
    Anyone tried one of these?

The Duncan Twin Tube always gets good reviews, and thats pretty rare for a tube driven pedal as most get very mixed reviews it seems, and while theres no doubt that the best of the 'non tube' overdrive pedals capture all the complexities of a driven 12AX7(And more) using IC's and the like, they never quite get the 'Feel' of that hot glass, at least for me anyway.

Drifted from your thread there dougb415, sorry :)

13. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

sorry dude. the one i was going to try is sold already. the budda sd18combo is a sweet sweet amp though... I'm currently searching for a better rhythm overdrive for my new band... maybe modding a bd2 to keeley specs will work. hmmm.

i will say that when i played the twin tube through a vox ac30 back in november i loved its tone.

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Be careful....My Budda ...an SDII 18 watt combo...doesn't like my pedals at all...see list below...all my other amps love my OD pedals....NOT the Budda

15. Dale

Dale Member

I really like my twin tube. It is a very versatile pedal for me.

16. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Can you go into more detail? My SDII combo didn't care for the Hellbaby (light OD) or the Bad Monkey, but other than that all my pedals seem to work well with it. Pedals on my board:

Keeley 4-knob compressor
    Bud-Wah
    volume pedal
    Digitech Clapton pedal (using the 'Badge' preset only)
    SD Tube Twin Classic
    Little Facher (light OD)
    VisualSounds H2O
    Frantone Vibutron
    TC Nova Delay
    Verbzilla