Sold Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Analog Delay

ddbruni

super under rated delay here... I sold my JHS Panther Cub when I got this... It lacks tap and division options but the analog delay and modulation delay tones in this box are right up there with the best. Very surprised by this one...

$SOLD and shipped CONUS.

Last edited:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed. Great delay.

Do you have any issues with the headroom? A friend of mine sold his because it lacked headroom for him. He doesn't use an effects loop. He uses some older NMV amps and runs his delays into the front of the amp. No matter what, I always like my delay in the loop.

I had a Vapor Trail and want another. I have been playing with analog sounding digital delays lately because I prefer companderless delays, but I am looking to get another Duncan VT, Malekko 616 Dark Echo and Big Joe Stombox Delay.
Maybe I will go back to analog. Yet if you watch Just Nick's demo videos, he says some of his top "analog" sounding delays are the Motavillian and Obscura, which are both analog sounding digital. Analog has to do with feel and inspiration too.

I know some guys use a dark delay for dirty, gainy sounds and a brighter or more neutral, natural delay for clean tones. For me, I would rather have a delay that does both well, clean to dirty tones. Some say dark delays get lost in the mix. I disagree, just more subtle and under the core tone. So, I do like a dark delay for some things or depending on how I feel or what I want. Sometimes a dark delay, sometimes a natural or brighter delay. I really never want a delay brighter than my tone. I like natural or dark.

Some pedal builders say their pedals are designed to work well with gain, where some delays and choruses get lost in the mix. Personally, most similar pedals I have owned, always work well with gain. Even a dark delay works with
I know I was reading about the Earthquaker devices delay where they mention it having a tone knob and the tone and volume allowing it to cut the mix. Personally, never had an issue with any.

I really enjoyed the VT. When I compared to my original MXR Carbon Copy which I never found too dark for anything I played. However, I found the VT to be more powerful, delayed notes are larger, bigger and fuller sounding, very natural, not too dark or bright, just perfect. Rather than having separate delays for clean and dirty, I could use this alone.

I always want to have one companderless delay around though for the ease of tweaking and the way the repeats blend and trail off. For that, I have the Montavillian.

The modulation is good on the Vapor Trail but not as good as the mod on the Malekko 616 delays. Man, I was able to use the Malekko Dark Delay as a standalone chorus pedal and the way it blends with the delay is the best I have ever heard.

Last edited:

ddbruni

Agreed. Great delay.

Do you have any issues with the headroom? A friend of mine sold his because it lacked headroom for him. He doesn't use an effects loop. He uses some older NMV amps and runs his delays into the front of the amp. No matter what, I always like my delay in the loop.

I had a Vapor Trail and want another. I have been playing with analog sounding digital delays lately because I prefer companderless delays, but I am looking to get another Duncan VT, Malekko 616 Dark Echo and Big Joe Stombox Delay.
Maybe I will go back to analog. Yet if you watch Just Nick's demo videos, he says some of his top "analog" sounding delays are the Motavillian and Obscura, which are both analog sounding digital. Analog has to do with feel and inspiration too.

I know some guys use a dark delay for dirty, gainy sounds and a brighter or more neutral, natural delay for clean tones. For me, I would rather have a delay that does both well, clean to dirty tones. Some say dark delays get lost in the mix. I disagree, just more subtle and under the core tone. So, I do like a dark delay for some things or depending on how I feel or what I want. Sometimes a dark delay, sometimes a natural or brighter delay. I really never want a delay brighter than my tone. I like natural or dark.

Some pedal builders say their pedals are designed to work well with gain, where some delays and choruses get lost in the mix. Personally, most similar pedals I have owned, always work well with gain. Even a dark delay works with
I know I was reading about the Earthquaker devices delay where they mention it having a tone knob and the tone and volume allowing it to cut the mix. Personally, never had an issue with any.

I really enjoyed the VT. When I compared to my original MXR Carbon Copy which I never found too dark for anything I played. However, I found the VT to be more powerful, delayed notes are larger, bigger and fuller sounding, very natural, not too dark or bright, just perfect. Rather than having separate delays for clean and dirty, I could use this alone.

I always want to have one companderless delay around though for the ease of tweaking and the way the repeats blend and trail off. For that, I have the Montavillian.

The modulation is good on the Vapor Trail but not as good as the mod on the Malekko 616 delays. Man, I was able to use the Malekko Dark Delay as a standalone chorus pedal and the way it blends with the delay is the best I have ever heard.
No I can't say I've had headroom issues with it but like any delay in going in the front of a rig you need to watch how much gain you throw at it and adjust to suite the application. This sound quality of the analog delay is right up there, I've had El Cap, Timeline, Panther Cub, Carbon Copy, Mad Prof Deep Blue, DD3, Wampler Faux Tape, Wampler Faux Analog which is what I will be down to if this sells... For my money if your not looking for tap or divisions the VT is one of the best out there... I use it for a subtle semi always on delay because it gets out of the way so well but it plays well cranked up to... Just feels good to play and I never struggle with it ... I listed three pedals yesterday and the other two went so I may end up keeping this and it won't bother me a bit.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks ddbruni...how is it compared to the Wampler Faux Echo?

I am finding analog feels more alive and 3D.

Only other Analog delay I like as much is the Malekko Dark Ekko and that modulation is better.

I use delay as ambiance, on somw clean and leads. I have no need for tap.

I wish there were more companderless delays though.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The VP gets out of the way, but I find companderless delays get out of the way better, even if they are analog sounding digital.

I have to have at least one Malekko delay in the collection because the modulation is the beat I have heard.

I like the Vapor Trail for clean and the Malekko more for dirty. But both work well. I am told the Big Joe is even better.

ddbruni

Still got it, still really like it.... This post may need to come down.... It's right there with the Wampler Faux ... Can't beat the VT for the price

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Still got it, still really like it.... This post may need to come down.... It's right there with the Wampler Faux ... Can't beat the VT for the price
Pedals I think are also right there are the CB Montavillian, Malekko Dark Ekko and apparently the Big Joe Stompbox Delay.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I am getting another VT. I just love this delay. It is near perfect.

I still also want another Big Joe Stompbox Delay and Malekko Dark Ekko.
On a Big Joe thread, one person mentioned the Big Joe sounding bigger and warmer than some of these others.

Oh, and i want a Mr. Black Dark Echo, Greer Black Tiger Delay, Caroline Kilobyte Delay, Boss DM2 Waza and Digitech Obscura.
:) :) :)

Last edited:

Trending Topics