• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Delay on the Way

yell03

I have been purging pedals as both of my amps are pretty versatile and don't need as many pedals for gain, a Tubescreamer as a boost is not required, but it works so well I would most likely bring it to a jam or gig along with a delay in the loop if I brought my DSL40C.

I have a Marshall DSL15C and DSL40C.

I currently have:

Cry baby - Mini Tubescreamer - OCD - MXR SBAD - TC Flashback going straight in to the amp.

I don't really need all these pedals for gain, but they aren't expensive and if I ever grab a clean amp again they will be needed. They do work well on the clean channels of both of my current amps if I feel like lugging my board.

Back on point...

My DSL40C has a loop which IMHO for Delay sounds better and is much easier to dial in, so I ordered a Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Delay.

Now I have to decide which Delay to leave on my board and which to put in the loop?

The Flashback has a looper which I use with either amp, so that will probably stay on the board, but I know the Vapor Trail is going to sound so much better.

I guess I'll have to go through some experimenting to figure it out.

Here is my current set-up:

NewDr.P

the vapor trail has a great set of features and the 'analog delay w modulation' allure but to me, its very bland.

i love the ehx dmm but can appreciate most delays- including digitals but i didnt like the vapor trail. maybe itll work for you.

Nota

I also did not keep the VT in favor of my CC. As posted above, it does have a great feature set, but was too large and broke up quickly.

EchoGecko

It breaks up very quickly, which I like, as such I recommend putting both delays in the loop…why would it's placement in the loop preclude it from taking residence on the board??

myaudiodna

I have a VT on the way as well. Is there anyone liking there's? I'm kind of second guessing my decision after the posts above.

Regarding the actual question, I would tend to put analog in front of the amp and digital in the loop.

On a side note, ditching the crybaby for a crybaby mini would allow you to use a much small board. :)

yell03

the vapor trail has a great set of features and the 'analog delay w modulation' allure but to me, its very bland.

i love the ehx dmm but can appreciate most delays- including digitals but i didnt like the vapor trail. maybe itll work for you.
I've had a Boss DD3 and DD7, MXR CC, Ibanez AD9, Visual Sounds H2O, and I currently have the TC Flashback, I wanted something different, but similar to the MXR CC.
Hopefully this will be the real deal for me.

I also did not keep the VT in favor of my CC. As posted above, it does have a great feature set, but was too large and broke up quickly.
I almost bought another CC, I like the small footprint, but I wanted to try something different.

It breaks up very quickly, which I like, as such I recommend putting both delays in the loop…why would it's placement in the loop preclude it from taking residence on the board??
If it is in the loop it won't be connected to the other pedals, it will still be on the board, that is what I meant.
I will leave one delay in the chain to use with the DSL15C.

I have a VT on the way as well. Is there anyone liking there's? I'm kind of second guessing my decision after the posts above.

Regarding the actual question, I would tend to put analog in front of the amp and digital in the loop.

On a side note, ditching the crybaby for a crybaby mini would allow you to use a much small board. :)
I might prefer this, but then I can't use the looper with the DSL15C.
This board is a nice medium size compromise, it allows me to grow or cut back as needed. Slightly smaller would be nice.

rck

I like mine, it does have a "dark" tone to the repeats. The modulation is nice, though I don't really use it, and the as others pointed out the feature set is handy. I can set it for a Slapback sound and then increase the time parameter without touching the mix, repeats knobs to have a good lead delay. I a/b the VT with a Strymon Deco and H9 delays, and it holds up well compared to those two. You can run try running it at 18 volts too.

rck

oh, and you can run another effect in the VT effects loop which can be useful

myaudiodna

I might prefer this, but then I can't use the looper with the DSL15C.
Sure you can, all you do is keep an extra patch cable around. If you're playing through the 15, add the flashback to your pedal chain with that extra patch cable, if you're playing through the 40, put it through the loop. Should be pretty easy to swap back and forth.

yell03

I like mine, it does have a "dark" tone to the repeats. The modulation is nice, though I don't really use it, and the as others pointed out the feature set is handy. I can set it for a Slapback sound and then increase the time parameter without touching the mix, repeats knobs to have a good lead delay. I a/b the VT with a Strymon Deco and H9 delays, and it holds up well compared to those two. You can run try running it at 18 volts too.
That is characteristic of Analog delays

Sure you can, all you do is keep an extra patch cable around. If you're playing through the 15, add the flashback to your pedal chain with that extra patch cable, if you're playing through the 40, put it through the loop. Should be pretty easy to swap back and forth.
It is much easier to just leave the one I like better in the loop of the DSL40C and use the other one in the chain for when I use the DSL15

Kestrel

I love the Vapor Trail. Like it way better than the Carbon Copy and the Malekko 616.

The Vaport Trail is definitely a warm sounding analog delay, but it isn't quite as dark or muddy sounding as the Carbon Copy, and doesn't go into oscillation as early as the Carbon Copy either. You can adjust the modulation without needing to remove the back plate to mess with trimpots, and the modulation is actually useful. I like modulated delays, but I don't like it to be over the top, and the Malekko 616 really has one 'sweet spot' for me as far as it's modulation goes. Plus, you can add effects to the VT's wet signal by plugging into the TRS jack. Can't do that with the CC or the 616. Haven't tried it yet at 18 volts, but at 9 volts it sounds great.

yell03

I love the Vapor Trail. Like it way better than the Carbon Copy and the Malekko 616.

The Vaport Trail is definitely a warm sounding analog delay, but it isn't quite as dark or muddy sounding as the Carbon Copy, and doesn't go into oscillation as early as the Carbon Copy either. You can adjust the modulation without needing to remove the back plate to mess with trimpots, and the modulation is actually useful. I like modulated delays, but I don't like it to be over the top, and the Malekko 616 really has one 'sweet spot' for me as far as it's modulation goes. Plus, you can add effects to the VT's wet signal by plugging into the TRS jack. Can't do that with the CC or the 616. Haven't tried it yet at 18 volts, but at 9 volts it sounds great.

That is what I am looking for!

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
It is a glorious, and vastly underrated pedal...

It'll live with my Moog MF104m for some settings (naturally not all !), and does that analog sound superbly.

rck

That is characteristic of Analog delays
pardon, I should've articulated my post better, I'm familiar with that concept. While it is "dark" to me, users can place another effect (such as a eq) in its loop (using a trs insert) to adjust to taste, which I've tried and like.

Report back what you think of the VT and give us your take on it.

yell03

It is a glorious, and vastly underrated pedal...

It'll live with my Moog MF104m for some settings (naturally not all !), and does that analog sound superbly.
Should be here tomorrow, I can't wait to try it for myself

Hmmm. It's slightly larger than the CC. But it also has top jacks which means, at least on my pedalboard, that it take up less space than a CC.
That is what I am hoping, I tend to like standard sized pedals

pardon, I should've articulated my post better, I'm familiar with that concept. While it is "dark" to me, users can place another effect (such as a eq) in its loop (using a trs insert) to adjust to taste, which I've tried and like.

Report back what you think of the VT and give us your take on it.
I will

Kestrel

That is what I am looking for!
To me the VT it sounds glorious. I think you'll really dig it. Now, at first I thought that the illuminated delay knob was sort of gimmicky, but it's actually a cool visual aid to help you set the tempo. And it isn't as blindingly bright as the blue LED on the Carbon Copy. As much as the Carbon Copy is praised as a compact analog delay, I think the Vaport Trail is the pedal the Carbon Copy should have been.

yell03

To me the VT it sounds glorious. I think you'll really dig it. Now, at first I thought that the illuminated delay knob was sort of gimmicky, but it's actually a cool visual aid to help you set the tempo. And it isn't as blindingly bright as the blue LED on the Carbon Copy. As much as the Carbon Copy is praised as a compact analog delay, I think the Vaport Trail is the pedal the Carbon Copy should have been.
I think I will like that, beats blindly trying to guess.

topo morto

I also have a Vapor Trail coming in tomorrow having heard many good things about it. It will be instantly going into battle with an ARDX20. Worst result would be if they're just 'different' and I have to keep them both!

yell03

I also have a Vapor Trail coming in tomorrow having heard many good things about it. It will be instantly going into battle with an ARDX20. Worst result would be if they're just 'different' and I have to keep them both!
I am planning on keeping both of my delays

Trending Topics