Seymour vs. DiMarzio

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MaxBoogie, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

What is the general consensus on these two pickup companies? I always thought Dimarzios were king but recently heard a luthier mention he much prefers Seumours these days.

I'm looking to replace a single coil in the bridge position on one of my axes and contemplating my options.

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Well I still prefer Dimarzio as all my favourite players use them and I did try two or three Seymours in my axes a few years ago.
    One thing I noticed was lots of treble in all of my Seymours.
    Then again, These two companies are using the same copper wire, magnets etc to create twists between models so it really makes no sense.....
    All in all I think they are both great, just choose a pickup that you like, and
    that compliments your playing.
    Get Dimarzios.... :rolleyes:

3. JWR

JWR Member

I've always used Gibsons or Duncans. I just ordered a Dimarzio virtual or Air somethin'. It's 8.67, Alnico 5, trembucker and I hope it's what I am seeking. Duncan does not have anything in that 8.4 to 9 range at all.

4. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I'm a Dimarzio user too... Dimarzios just do it for me, so I don't see a reason to move over to SD, even though they are relaly cheap here in Singapore... like SGD100 for a SD JB compared to SGD140 for a Dimarzio Evolution.

5. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I think they both make a high quality product. It's personal taste whether you like their pickups or not. I've grown to generally like Dimarzios pickups more than Duncans. IMO Duncan seems to be more of a traditionalist and Dimarzio more of a modernist. I have a pair of Virtual PAF's in my Les Paul that I use for slide. They sound great. They are not an attempt to recreate a '50's PAF. They have a similar flavor. They are very reactive to your touch and have an airiness that's very cool. Classic but modern at the same time.

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

They're both solid companies. SD is more wedded to a vintage philosophy - how many twists on the PAF do they make? DiMarzio is more into modern or new sounds. Both are quality products made by folks with decades in the biz.

7. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I use Duncans because they just sound better to my ears than DiMarzios. I like a couple of DiMarzio’s models but I will NEVER use them and here is why. One BIG difference between both companies is customer service. Everyone I have ever dealt with at Duncan has been very helpful and friendly. DiMarzio was just the opposite. Rude, arrogant and in need of a severe ass kicking! In fact a certain “pickup designer” at DiMarzio needs to have an X2N shoved up his ass sideways, REAPEATEDLY! So, needless to say, Larry and all the “wonderful” people he employs will NEVER see one cent from me.

Cheers,

CJ

8. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've never had any issue with some wire, bobbins, and magnets that warrented customer service, so all I can use is my ear. DiMarzios get me closer to where I want to be. I've had this discussion on forums before, and while SD does make some nice-sounding pickups, they all have a general "scratchy" tonality that doesn't agree with my playing as much as DMZs do.

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Odd... I used to love DiMarzios till I installed a JB in a Strat. Of course I was playing buzz saw Speed Metal at the time so I guess I wouldnt notice any "scratchiness".

Ive been thinking SD'S for my new Strat and Tele and now you've all made me rethink it...

10. sosomething

sosomething Member

Well, don't get me wrong - I'm not speaking for anyone else but I wouldn't intentionally steer anyone away from Duncans as they make some nice pickups. I'm a regular on the Seymour Duncan forum too and respect the company - I just don't get along with their products a whole lot.

DiMarzios have a smoother, almost rounded vowel-like voice to them, especially on single-notes. If I had to compare using silly descriptive words, I'd say DiMarzios are "chunky" where Duncans are "crunchy." It's all peanut butter, but some folks like Skippy and others like Jif. :)

11. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Does Dimarzio still silicone-glue their pickups like they did Super Distortions back in the 70s? :confused:

BTW, LONG-time Duncan-Head here, that is until I got my first WCRs...

I'm slowly but surely selling off ALL my Duncans know :MMM

12. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

The Super, Dual Sound, Super 2, and maybe the Super 3 still have the glue below the bobbins, since that design didn't/doesn't use keeper bars. There has to be something substantial under the outside edges of the bobbins to keep them upright.

I don't think any of their other buckers are made that way.