SF Bay area guitar stores??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Sep 7, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Any recommendations for San Francisco Bay area guitar stores w/ decent used/new/boutique gear?

2. jgyn

jgyn Member

San Francisco-
    Real Guitars (used), Rocker Guitars (boutique)

San Rafael-
    E-Guitars (used)

3. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

I'm really curious too since I just moved to the bay area.

4. EvilTwin

EvilTwin Member

5. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

For new stuff, these stores have very good selections: Gelb - Redwood City, Guitar Showcase - San Jose, Haight Ashbury Music Center - San Francisco. I will also second Rocker Guitars, a very good store.

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Couple o' stores from my home town of Berkeley:

Blue Note (Telegraph Avenue) - tasteful selection of vintage guitars

Subway Guitars (Cedar St.) - vast (and oft-not-so-tasteful) collection of vintage guitars. You want an obscure guitar, such as my first 12-string (Kapa Continental), this is the place.

jgyn already mentioned E*Guitars (in San Rafael), but it is worth seconding - for your fine vintage fix. Also in San Rafael, just around the corner from E*, is Bananas At Large - good for new stuff.

- T

7. gregc510

gregc510 Member

If you're into bizarre guitars, Subway in Berkeley is the best. They don't carry the Gibsons of the world, but if you need a Dano, for ex, that's the coolest place to go. Got a Kalamazoo (made from particle board!) from them years ago. Every gearhead should go there to see a whole 'nother world.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Didn't I post on this thread earlier? Odd, it's not there anymore. I posted a link to another thread a page or so down that is exactly the same topic...lots of good info there too.

My recommendations are Rocker Guitars in SF and Eguitars in San Rafael. If you're into 65amps, Cornford, and vintage Fenders, Eguitars is a good spot. The rest of their stock is changing depending on what vintage gear comes in.

9. emjee

emjee Member

For high dollar vintage, Real Guitars on Lafayette st. in the city. Chris Cobb (The owner) is not only a vintage guitar expert, but also a meeean blues player. At the back of the store is the famous guitar tech to the stahs, Gary Brawer guitar repair. Also, if you do decide to come across the Golden Gate bridge into Marin to check out E Guitars on Fourth St. in San Rafael (Highly recommended, the owner bought the majority of Scott Chinery's collection after his death. Many clean original vintage archtops, he also has (on display) the three guitars made for the Strawberry Alarm Clock's album cover of "Incense And Peppermints"; really a futuristic design (Mosrite?) for that era) and your still not satiated, drive from E Guitars go west (Toward the freeway) on fourth st. two blocks and turn right on B St. and go two more blocks to "Players Guitars" at 822 B St. This guy is the future of vintage guitar collections. I say that because he doesnt have one guitar in his place less than thirty years old, and there isnt a fender or gibson in the joint. Instead, he has his walls covered with vintage Kay, Silvertone, Harmony, Danelectro, Teisco, etc., and the floor is covered with tube amps by Valco, Ampeg, Kay, Multivox, Bogen, etc., etc. These are two vintage stores within walking distance that should not be missed by the vintage gear lover.

Matt

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

great tips- I am jazzed to hit them all...thanks-

11. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I was in the area and went there today and though it was cool in a way, Fat Dawg was seriously trying to make mountains out of molehills regarding some of the guitars in his shop, trying to tell me a pressed(and cracked) top $300 archtop has a carved top and is worth $2k.

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Glad you didn't buy his b.s., which can be very thick sometimes. I have lost my long-held respect for him due to the pieces of crap he's tried to sell new guitarist friends of mine. I still respect him in all other ways, but caveat emptor at his shop.

- T