SF Deluxe Rev with orig Ox spk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zzmoore, Jun 22, 2008.

1. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Anybody with a Fender SFDR that plays it with the original (or legit recone) Oxford speaker? How do you like it?
    Thank You

2. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I've got one(a'68), but unfortunately the Oxford cone is so soggy that it sounded like crap, so I replaced it with a Jensen. The Oxford is so inefficient, that it sounded like a 3 watt amp- it's at least 3 times as loud with the Jensen.

Of all the OEM speakers Fender installed in their '60's amps, Oxfords are held in the lowest regard. I don't think there's much vintage value in them. If you're just looking for a museum original one, that's the only reason I'd keep it in there.

3. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Not concerned about having the original, I just happen to still have it is all. It has one of those "Swiss Cheese" frames and a fairly light magnet. To be honest with you, I kind of just assumed that it was not the best, and replaced it right away. Never even listened to it. Have been trying to decide between the Red Fang and the F150. We have a V-Champ head, think I will try it with that. Hate to just toss it out. But like you say, other than a collector wanting an "original", there might not be much call for it.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Keep it in case you ever sell the amp.The amp will always be worth more with it.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

I wouldn't use it because it could get blown quite easily due to it's age.

6. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Use mine all the time with the original speaker. Gig regularly and all practices. If you like the sound, use it.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

When I sold my '67 BFDR, it had a weber 12F150 50 watter in it, with the original oxford sitting in a box. The buyer didn't even bother taking the oxford. That was a mint condition, rather collectible amp, so it says something about how much better that replacement speaker is.