SF Vibro Champ: tone problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rlc478464, Aug 10, 2008.

1. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

I have a SF Vibro Champ. I had it blackfaced by a reliable tech and got a Weber speaker for it which sounds good. There is too much bass. I have to turn the bass control down all the way and put the treble up all the way to get a decent sound. If the bass control is on at all the amp starts to distort when the volume is set on 4. Is this usual for Vibro Champ amps? Is there some additional adjustment to be made? Is it the speaker? Thanks for your input. I play a Pensa SSH strat type guitar through the amp.

2. xStonr

xStonr Member

I had a similar problem with a SF Champ. I had it "tweeded" which eliminated the tone stack and gives it more gain earlier and more bass. I had a Weber Signature 8 alnico speaker that was just too bassy. I changed the speaker to a Jensen P8R [FONT=&quot][/FONT]Alnico that is much brighter sounding.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would find out what the tech did exactly to 'blackface' it. I thought there were very little changes from Blackface to Silverface in the Champ and Vibro champ line, so I am not sure what all the tech did in this case.

My '67 Champ has tone controls that work, bass is at 4.5 on mine and treble is at 7....

4. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

5. brad347

brad347 Member

My thoughts exactly. It's relatively common knowledge that from the vibro champ's introduction in 1964 until it was discontinued in 1982, it used the same AA764 circuit. Literally virtually no change, other than using components from different suppliers, etc.

It was "blackfaced," so to speak, the day it rolled off the line. So by "blackfacing" it, your tech did... what, exactly? Before proceeding further you really need to find this out.

6. rlc478464

rlc478464 Member

the humbucker sounds good, best actually. The problem seems to be a lack of effect of the treble control, and overwhelming bassiness, although good sounds can be dialed in. There is not a real range of sound. Any recommendations for other 8" speakers. I have the Jensen 8" PR replacement speaker, which doesn't really sound good to my ears. I play the amp with volume 4-7, not cranked.

7. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I know it can do more but I like the Vibro Champ best as a one trick pony.

NOS Tubes "good" 3 ohm Speakers - Weber has several models Alnico or Ceramic to paper weights and Power handling.

Champ's are Single ended Class A Amp's that changed little as a SF BF or LAMF The Bronco's has a different Cab construction and a little more juice. other then that turn them upside down and they are all the same:)

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey RecOrds