SF Vibrolux speaker swap?

It's a '72 VR that I've owned for about 10 years, but never gigged it that much. It was re-capped and re-tubed when I bought it. It came with Fender Special Design speakers that blew after the first few hours, so I replaced them with Jensen C10Q's. I'm generally okay with Jensens, but they sound like crap in this amp. Way too much "sparkle", especially with a Tele.

So I'm looking to swap out the speakers, and would like some suggestions. I need something that has much more relaxed highs, with a warmer bottom. I have a Ragin' Cajun' I can put in, but it's a really heavy speaker, and a pair of them would make the amp weigh a ton. What else should I consider? I'd like to keep the cost under $100@ if possible. Thanks.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
A pair of Copperheads would be nice. If it's my amp, I go for a few more bucks and grab a pair of Weber 10F125H hemp cone speakers.

The Copperhead sounds interesting. I'm wondering how one of those paired with the Ragin' Cajun' would sound...... Both are pretty efficient too, which would give me a bit more clean headroom.

earthmud

Silver Supporting Member
The Copperhead sounds interesting. I'm wondering how one of those paired with the Ragin' Cajun' would sound...... Both are pretty efficient too, which would give me a bit more clean headroom.
I had that pair in a 72 Vibrolux. Hated the Copperhead but loved the Cajun. Ended up with a Celestion Gold and the Cajun. I found the Copperhead to be fizzy and overly bright with od.

One mans "sparkle" is another mans "ice pick". ;)

The amp has plenty of "sparkle" on its own. With the Jensens, I run the bass on "8" and the treble on "2". It's still pretty bright. Looks like the Lil Buddy is the winner.

When I bought the VR (about 10 years ago), I was really caught up the the Vibrolux "mystique". On paper, it seemed like the perfect amp for me. In reality, not so much..... I've been through a bunch of medium powered amps since then - tube, solid, state, and digital. Nothing has really nailed it, but my 68 Custom Princeton comes close. It just doesn't have the volume or clean headroom I need in my current situation. If I can get the VR to sound close to the Princeton I'll be in a good place.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Are you using the stock 5U4GB rectifier? Using a GZ34 will raise the voltages and give the amp much more top end "sizzle".

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Are you using the stock 5U4GB rectifier? Using a GZ34 will raise the voltages and give the amp much more top end "sizzle".

Be careful changing from a 5U4GB to a GZ34/5AR4 rectifier. That silverface Fender has a larger power transformer with higher voltage than a blackface and with a GZ34/5AR4 rectifier it can be too much for some 6L6's.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I have a regular old set of Eminence Legend 10's in mine. They sound kind of like a Jensen but with a bit more body. The 1058, for 60 bucks you cant go wrong.
I used to have a VR and tried a bunch of combinations. This was one of the best. I also really liked some organ-pull C10Ns that I bought off ebay and had Weber recone. Those were great. I tried the Copperhead/Ragin' Cajun combo, but didn't feel like it came into its own until the amp was cranked. Below that, just OK.

Greentone

I used to have a VR and tried a bunch of combinations. This was one of the best. I also really liked some organ-pull C10Ns that I bought off ebay and had Weber recone. Those were great. I tried the Copperhead/Ragin' Cajun combo, but didn't feel like it came into its own until the amp was cranked. Below that, just OK.

Yep, real deal C10Ns are amazing when they are healthy. The point of this amp was to leave it in a roadcase as a road amp because it's a bit of a basket case but is reliable and sounds good. That makes it the perfect road amp. I never liked the Ragin' Cajun, it's just too much everything for me. Never tried the Copperhead. The Legends to their job and do it well.

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe swap one of those c10qs for a greenback.

The greenback is a warm speaker on its own, and 2 of em might be tipping the scale too much in the other direction, but one paired with the Jensen may work.

The GA10-sc64 by Eminence is nicely balanced American speaker akin to a C10n

Trending Topics

Top Bottom