SFPR to BFDR specs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jerry55, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jerry55

jerry55 Member

hi all, i would appreciate any feedback on what i need to change on my sfpr to up the output to deluxe reverb specs...thanks in advance...

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    You can sneak by with the existing power transformer, but the Output transformer and phase inverter (per OTM) definitely have to be upgraded.

This is not a job for a novice.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

not a cheap job either!

And is there room in the chassis?

And is there a point? ;)

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I'm embarrassed. I thought SFPR meant "Silver-Face Pro Reverb." I always forget about the Princeton!

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

That's ok, I usually forget about the Pro. In this case, Princeton made more sense based on the question:)

6. brad347

brad347 Member

i didn't mean 'why the PI.' I knew about the split-load PI in the princeton. I meant "why mod the amp?"

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

To have a DR (more clean headroom than a PR) in a smaller package? Interestingly, I'm about to do the same thing to my DR.

8. brad347

brad347 Member

well, i'm just saying that by the time you get the heavier iron and speaker etc. in there it's only going to be slightly lighter (due to reduced cabinet dimensions only) than a DR. And it will cost more than just selling the princeton, gettting a SFDR and modding THAT to blackface specs. It's just not worth the extra trouble and expense to save maybe 5 lbs of weight and a few inches of size to me but that's just me! :)

9. ES350

ES350 Member

To change the output of your amp, you need to sell it and buy a Deluxe Reverb.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

All true, but for those with the scientific spirit of adventure....:dude

11. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

Jim of L'il Dawg amps builds a great little 5E3 tweed D'Lux for around $499. He can upgrade that to 25 watts also, although I don't know the cost. Great guy great amp. Hacking up the Princeton is not cost effective(I have a tweeked Princeton worth about 1/3 of what I paid for it) Jims amp is also housed in a small enclosure and is very light.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

No hacking involved, and I require reverb. I've already got an Allen Amplification upgrade OT in my PR. The PI mod involves a small handful of resistors and caps. No biggie.

13. jerry55

jerry55 Member

well thanks to everyone for your replys and info...and i do have a 67 BFDR ,a 65 BFPR,a 62 princeton which i will not be hacking up but i have this 73 PR which i was just thinking well why not ...it could always be reversed ...the deluxe is a good 8 to 10 pounds heavier... being 58 with bad knees, back and just chock full of artiritis ...living on the second floor 5 pounds can make a difference ...heck a personal roadie would be better but not cheaper ...thanks again

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I would agree if we were talking about a black face amp, but we're talking about mid '70s SF. No holes are required and it's easily reversible.

15. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

I modded my SFPR to do some of the things you may be looking for:
    Put in a Merc Mag Deluxe Revrb OT and an Allen upgrade PT that will handle 6L6's if I want; did the power supply mod that everyone does (Stokes mod?); even though I basically rebuilt the amp I did not change the PI configuration as I wanted to keep the trem; put in a new Mojo baffle for a 12" speaker; put in a mid boost (.002 cap in parallel with the treble cap) that is on a pull switch on the treble pot (so no holes in chassis). I have JJ 6V6's in it right now.Very cool gigable amp with more punch in small portable package. Kick in the boost for plenty of tweedish gain. Love it.:AOK

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Go Tmac! Go Tmac!

It's always fun walking into a jam and have people snicker at your "little" amp....until you hit the first chord:)

17. brad347

brad347 Member

That's why I love f***ed up cheap guitars (provided they're set up and at least marginally playable). I'm of the opinion that a good player will get good tone no matter what. Sure I have my cool stuff but every now and then I like to remind myself that I don't need it! :)