SG '61 Reissue -- Slight Gap in Neck Joint?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shaps6, Sep 15, 2017.

1. shaps6

shaps6 Member

I just got an SG 61 Reissue (Gibson USA model) and I decided to take a look at what the neck joint looks like, when I noticed this. Is this a gap in the neck joint?

The guitar resonates really well unplugged and plays well, so I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

Does the guitar play well despite shoddy workmanship? Or is this not such a big deal?

[​IMG] [/IMG]

2. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

That is normal.

Elantric likes this.
  3. shaps6

shaps6 Member

What is it?

Also, do these same gaps exist on Custom Shop models?

4. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

If you watch videos of the manufacture, the necks are hand fit... looks like someone took a bit too much off the top. :p

If it plays well, resonates well and holds tune in a stable manner... I wouldn't worry about it. My 1977 SG looks similar if you pull the neck pickup and look in the cutout, there is a bit of a gap on the left (bass) side, but the neck is solid and stable. My 2016 SG also has some evidence of being hand fit, but is much tighter fit than the '77 and is breaking in nicely.

5. shaps6

shaps6 Member

haha, does that mean that someone just chiseled out at the top, but that there's something deeper in that's glued to the body? I just don't know how what's holding it in

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Member

7. shaps6

shaps6 Member

Spackle?

AngelDeVille likes this.
  8. shaps6

shaps6 Member

Also, anyone know what that piece of plastic that I removed is called? Wondering where I can buy a replacement

9. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Beware inflammatory responses, op.

10. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

If you watch the videos of Gibsons factory, they do use a chisel to trim necks to fit the pockets better.... my guess is that the chisel wasn't exactly flat when used to trim your (or either of my) necks. My older SG is rapidly closing on it's 40th birthday (December of 1977 manufacture) and it is as solid as you could as for.

Slight imperfections are to be expected in hand fitting, especially when it's in a spot expected to be covered later.

AustinIsPresent and shaps6 like this.
  11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

It's not unusual. But ideally you want a tight fit - all surfaces of a tenon and slot in tight contact with each other like two puzzle pieces. Someone at Gibson took too much wood off. I personally don't like neck joints, bolt or set, with gaps that you can slide a business card or coin into, but I have played guitars that do, and they were still acceptable instruments.

12. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Y'all would be shocked if you found out how real Flamenco guitars are assembled. Some dodgy stuff under the hood on those, and cost $10k+ !

13. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

That's totally normal. Put the plastic back over it and rock.

14. LaXu

LaXu Member

It’s a bit sloppy work but it won’t make any difference as there is still plenty of tightly fitted areas holding the neck in place.

15. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Beware apologists.

I would probably go years without taking the pickguard off unless something broke so probably OK by me since I wouldn't see it and I am pretty sure I'd never hear it. Sloppy craftsmanship? Undeniably. If you could see how poorly some of these are glued on the underside (there are pics of a disassembles historic floating around), you might have pause to see the side is also poorly joined. But as long as you have as much contact area as the cross section area of the tenon, the strength of the join essentially won't be compromised (realize this is not a perfect comparison, just an approximation).

hunter

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Flamenco guitars are typically Spanish foot design. Essentially nothing in common with the Gibson neck join design. And it is pretty hard to find a $10K+ flamenco!

hunter

17. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Supporting Member

18. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

That's why Gibson installs a plastic tenon cover in that area. Even when the wood surfaces are completely flush, the grains mismatch.

19. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

The Pickguard?

stonem likes this.
  20. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

It would be on a Standard. He means the tenon cover, if it's a 61RI.

shaps6 likes this.