SG 61' reissue versus Angus Young Signature... anyone try both?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, May 24, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have ALWAYS wanted an SG or a Les Paul. I guess I thought whatever amazing tone monster comes first at a killer price I will pick up.... welll 4-5 years later, still thinking about it from time to time. Regarding SG's which did you prefer the Angus Young model or the regular cheaper 61 reissue?

Cary

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I've played both. The "61" is a solid rock guitar. The AY model has a little more attention to detail and IMHO way better PU's. I'm sure there's difference in the grade of the woods but I couldn't tell.

3. tmirra

tmirra Member

I know you are asking about specific models but I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the SG models. I have a '92 Standard and I am still amazed at how easy it plays and how great it sounds every time I pick it up.

4. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I have one of the Custom Shop Historic SG Special's that have the P90's in them. This model is the exact same one that Pete Townsend used in the Who. This guitar rocks with those pickups. I think everyone should have an SG in their collection!:agree:mob

5. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I woulda considered buying an angus model if it didnt have that lame drawing on the headstock.

totally killed it for me.

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

I would agree except every SG I pick up I can't play...the strings hurt me little fingers.

7. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

I owned both and a Historic w/Vibrola etc. The Vibrola adds a bright airiness to the sound, but it does hurt sustain especially past the 12th fret. The Vibrola can be finicky staying in tune. The vintage vibrolas were just as bad in this regard.

Neck joints on the early 60's orginals were extremely weak. All the new ones are far superior in this regard.

I don't think the Angus model is any better or worse made than the 61 reissue. The Historic was by far the best of the 3. I have since sold the Angus model. I just felt silly playing it, with that headstock scribble emblem. If you buy used on Ebay, the Historic Reissue models usually sell for not that much more than either of the 2 you originally mentioned, especially Historic Reissues with stoptails, so that is what I'd recommend.

8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

My 61 reissue sounded great, but was really neck heavy. Sold it.

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

+1000000000000000

What a sweet guitar otherwise save for the stupid cartoon.

The SG's I considered were:
    Angus
    67RI W/p90's
    Townshend
    Standard

I actually bought the 67RI from AMS but they messed up and were out of stock so I cancelled and bought another Tele instead.

10. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

How are the Angus pickups in the bridge of the Angus model SG???

11. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

The one I had was a low to medium output humbucker, closer to a gibson 57classic than to a BurstBucker. I really liked it. It's the only part of the
    the Angus SG I sorely miss. I have considered buying just the pickup to put in one of my other SG's.

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm considering taking out a BB3 and putting the Angus buker in a non reverse firebird.

13. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Love my Elitist '61 SG. Put in a Pearly Gates neck and '59 bridge. Perfecto.

Jack