SG 90 (approx 1988) Anyone seen one?

Bruceman

I like this SG 90, but I've never seen one anywhere. Anyone here own one, and if so, do you like it? The pic is from an '88 catalog.

dantedayjob

The guitar in the pic is an SG 90 Double. I used to have a Teal Green SG 90 Single, which had the bridge pup only. The bridge pup was tapped by a push/push pot on the volume control. They had 25 1/2" scale, 24 frets and an ebony board. I seem to recall that it had Grover tuners. Very slim neck, not exactly sure what you would call the profile, but it was thin. Very resonant guitar, I quite liked it and it was my #1 for quite a few years. I don't have a digital pic of it unfortunately.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I bought one brand new in 1990. It was a great guitar. I was in a top 40/Classic Rock band from from around 1993-1997 and it was the only guitar I used. Never even took a backup to the gigs and we played 4 sets a night.

Everything dantedayjob mentioned applies. The neck had a very slim profile but was wide at the nut. I never actually measured it but it felt wider than my 61 SG/Les Paul. It was a shredder type neck and was incredibly easy to play.
The body seemed a little thinner also. It was very light.

The bridge PU sounded OK in humbucking mode but split in single coil mode it sounded FANTASTIC. With both PUs on it got a very clean funk tone. It was a very unique guitar.

Unfortunately I had issues with my fretboard cracking. I had it repaired under warranty a couple of years after I bought it. About 15 years later it cracked again and I had it repaired out of warranty. A couple of years later it started to crack again so I sold it. This doesn't mean that it would happen to other SG90s. I could have just been unlucky with mine.

Here's a pic:

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!! My eyes, oooowwwww!! Fndr scale length, 24 frets, string-thru-body, dumbass pearloid 'guard, wrong neck p.u., black hardware, no f.b. binding?!?!?! That gtr is the antithesis of all that is cool about an SG; it's the anti-SG!! WTF could Gbsn have been thinking (or not thinking!)?!?! (just my opinion, of, course; glad you fellas dig 'em)

Bruceman

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to start looking for one, if anyone knows of one. Thanks.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!! My eyes, oooowwwww!! Fndr scale length, 24 frets, string-thru-body, dumbass pearloid 'guard, wrong neck p.u., black hardware, no f.b. binding?!?!?! That gtr is the antithesis of all that is cool about an SG; it's the anti-SG!! WTF could Gbsn have been thinking (or not thinking!)?!?! (just my opinion, of, course; glad you fellas dig 'em)
Definitely not your regular SG BUT, it is a GREAT guitar. Very versatile. Had high end appointments: ebony board, fretboard inlays etc.

Pete Faragher

Platinum Supporting Member
I was always intrigued by these. Didn't they also make one with a locking bridge? Sort of a trem/no trem thing?
Pete

Amp360

I had one of the single pickup models back in the day. Why I bought it I have no idea, but I do remember thinking it was cool.

The main issue is the neck was really thin, I just couldn't get used to it. I bought mine from Vehamin's Music Emporium, which was like Musician's Friend IIRC.

Nice guitar, great build quality. Neck was not for me but a great guitar.

Trending Topics