SG Classic or Les Paul 50s Tribute?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tycobb73, Apr 6, 2015.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

If your budget would allow for only one on the used market, which one would you get and why? You must also not make any mods.

2. talentless hack

talentless hack Member

I strongly prefer SGs in general. Laying that bias aside, though, I think the SG Classic was intended to be on par with the standard model whereas the Les Paul Tribute was clearly not intended to be at the same level as the Standard model.

That being said, a lot depends on if you want a really bulky 50s neck as on that particular LP model, or if you want a slimmer 60s profile as on the SG Classic.

3. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I'd go for the SG classic, not just based on looks, but feel. The SG has a thinner neck and MUCH higher quality finish. The body of the Paul will allow for slightly more resonance but I feel like the stock pickups will really hinder that no matter which guitar you choose.

Each guitar feels completely different, so go with which ever one plays better for your style.

4. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

I had a 50s Tribute LP and it honestly felt a bit too cheap to me (and I love cheap guitars, so I'm no snob!) I think it was the finish combined with the chambered body. The SG Classic I used to own, on the other hand, was one of my favorite Gibsons I've owned.

5. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

^^^ Having owned both guitars in the past, I concur.

The LP Tributes can be cool sounding (thanks to the chambering) and have decent necks, but the finish, overall craftsmanship (some have 3+ piece bodies, like a cutting board, haha), and lack of binding definitely detract from it. The SG Classics are just nicer all around.