SG Classic Vs. R6 Historic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Apr 24, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Would you guys go so far as saying that the tone and playability of the SG Classic is at least as good as the Gibson Historic R6? Better, worse, or different??

I've been looking at the SG Classic for a while but also like the feel of a Les Paul. However, if I found an SG that wasn't neck heavy or unstable w/ neck joint and tuning I'm inclined to get these while the getting is good if I can find a nice used one.

The R4 I guess is a different comparison given the wraptail bridge.

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

They are totally different. I like and have them both. Both have their own vibe. The Les Paul is thicker and heavier and has a maple cap. The SG is thinner and lighter and has a very different tone. Ones not better or worst, just different.

See this thread. This guy found his love in the cheaper SG. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=384755

3. dewman

which one has more low end and is smoother? the SG?

dont know what the maple cap wold do to the tone of P90s versus mahogany. all these P90 guys swear by solid mahogany it seems...

4. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I live and die by my R6, however, if you are new to the world of p-90'S and come from more of a fender world, the SG might be it for you. They are great guitars for the price, they have a nice chunky neck and and great tone. They seem a bit brighter than my R6, but that is what an SG sounds like. They cut great in the mix, I just prefer a bigger bottom end to my sound, which my R6 gets in spades.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I love my SG Classic.
    However, if anybody wants to trade their R6...

6. planetal

planetal Member

I love my R6, I've never bonded with SG's.. although I'm thinking of trying an SG Classic once again

7. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

Have you owned/tried a PRS McCarty? I find them to have a very similar sound to a LP, with just a hint less bite. Very weight balanced, also.

8. dewman

Never tried the McCarty. I tried an SG Classic once from GC but it had a real loose neck and tuning sucked and I couldnt get past that and the neck being real heavy and tipping. I have had SGs in the past that I let go that didnt have those issues at all, so I guess its hit or miss like anything else. I have only played a P90 loaded Les Paul once at a shop and never really side by side with an SG and it wasnt a good comparison, nor did I have a decent amp to pair with it, something like a Line 6 if I remember. So dont have much data. The SG is light. My Les Paul is 9 lbs - not heavy, but not light either. But I like big fat tone and didnt know if the SG was all mids and no bottom end relative to the LP. Hard to find a dealer locally with any R4s or R6s in stock, much less an SG classic or 67 SG reissue to compare apples to apples.

I'd like to try a McCarty Soapbar but have never felt particularly an affinity for PRS guitars. Great guitars, but just never developed a taste for them. I have played the SC245 or whatever its called and it is a great guitar, Les Paulish, but nothing of the sort with P90s.

I like the neck on the SG Classic the most. They have fantastic carves and enough meat on them without being redwoods.

9. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've owned two SG Classic's but sold them both and moved on to a Pete Towsend SG and a '67 Special. I really like them but think that my LP Special and R4's and R6 edge them out from a tone standpoint. The tone is a little richer, fatter and fuller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dewman

like the white special....

11. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've think there's something special about P90s in an all mahogany set neck guitar with a short scale.

Hence, I'd opt for the SG over the R6.

Alternatively consider the black R4 Custom. I have that guitar and it just sings. I have a goldtop R4
    with wraptail bridge. It's nice but most of the time the R4 Custom is my preference.

Personally I would shy away from PRS because I think the 25" scale does not give the same tone as
    the shorter "Gibson" scale. For a Gibson alternative you might consider Hamer.

[​IMG]

12. Rich

Rich Member

As said, definitely different tone and feel.

But lemme state the obvious. There is a HUGE difference in price between the Classic and the R4, R6 and Custom R4. As in multiples of. So...

BTW, there are also the production Townshend SG (similar to Classic but wrap tail and different finish) and the LP Studio Gem, both of which are no longer made but can usually be picked up used at good prices.

13. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

How would you describe the tone-difference between the R4 Goldtop and the R4 Custom ?

14. supar6

supar6 Member

Holy shnikies that Gold Top is beautiful!!!!

15. dewman

So hows the neck on the Pete Townsend compared to the SG Classic?

The R6 has a deeper richer tone than the SG? What's the effect of the maple cap then?

16. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

OK seriously, give me one of those R4's. Just give it to me.

17. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Goldtop: Lollar pups

brighter with a bit more Tele to it than the Custom
    greater sustain

Custom: stock pups (I think...I got it used and never looked under the hood)

thicker and more 3D sounding
    darker but still good twang
    bit more raw sounding in a good way with distortion and it sings beautifully with hi gain (Soldano)