• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

SG Faded Trade Value?

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for some thoughts on a trade I was offered. I have this guitar listed for sale/trade locally, and I had an offer of a 2006 SG Faded, with the following modifications:
  • Refin with white nitro. Based on the photos I was sent, it looks like it's a fairly light satin finish.
  • W/B/W pickguard
  • Black speed knobs instead of top hats
  • Bill Lawrence USA pickups
  • Push/pull volume pots for coil split
  • TUSQ XL nut
  • Non-original gig bag
From what I can see in the photos, it looks like the serial number was sanded off or filled when the back of the headstock was refinished, which definitely concerns me. Otherwise the guitar looks pretty straight.

Stock, I'd be looking at $450-500, but what do you guys think should be the discount based on the refin and other mods? I do like the look of the white on white, which is unusual on an SG. I'm not sure how I'll like the pickups, but that's easy enough to change. Same with the pots, knobs, etc.

For what it's worth, the other party is aware that he's got to come up on the value. He's offered me either some decent used speakers (Celestion G12H30, etc.) which I don't particularly need, or a lower-end Yamaha bass (RBX170) and practice amp (Peavey Max 158) which I'd value at about $150 together.

Last edited:

AngryHatter

I had one.
I put sheptones in it and the split wiring.
I sold it for $750 shortly after I had done the mods as it sounded thin. Lesson learned.

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
I had one.
I put sheptones in it and the split wiring.
I sold it for $750 shortly after I had done the mods as it sounded thin. Lesson learned.
I hear you. The electronics aren't that big a concern to me since they're relatively easy to change if I don't like something. Although, I had a SG standard that I sold a couple of years ago because I could never get a clean sound I was happy with.

If anyone's got any suggestions on how the refin affects the value, I'd really appreciate the info. I sent the guy some questions about the specific model of the pickups, the missing serial number, and a tuner that looked like it might be different. I'll see what he says before I start pushing harder on the trade value.

AngryHatter

The refinish would depend on how well it was done.
If it is a quality finish it would add to the value.

You won't be able to sell it for anything but a refinished SG but in any case I think it really depends on the quality of the work done.

Lonnie00

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for that because I'm a big fan of the Gibson pickups. The question is what does the seller think it's worth?

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
Refin = no added value and most likely value decrease.
W/B/W pickguard = stock part.
Speed knobs = no added value
Bill Lawrence USA pick ups = decrease in value
Push pull pots = no added value
Tusq nut = no added value
Non original gig bag = decrease in value unless its a real nice upgraded bag, in which case, still no added value.

New faded SGs can be had on sale sometimes for $599.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
FWIW, it seems that the prices of used SG's these days are really low as compared to years past. Also IIRC the serial numbers of recent Gibsons are deeply stamped, so there was probably some reason the serial number was defaced on the guitar (the stamp is too deep for a normal refin to fill with finish).

If you were planning on reselling, the resale value will probably take a massive hit due to all the mods, and nobody would know if it was stolen or not due to the serial number or lack thereof.

fjrabon

The only thing that will really impact the value is the serial number being sanded off. But unfortunately that could cut it in half.

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
If you were planning on reselling, the resale value will probably take a massive hit due to all the mods, and nobody would know if it was stolen or not due to the serial number or lack thereof.
The only thing that will really impact the value is the serial number being sanded off. But unfortunately that could cut it in half.
This is what I was thinking as well. FWIW, I asked the other guy directly about the serial number and he says it's just filled from the refin and offered to sand back the headstock to expose it. He's offered a photo of the guitar when he bought it and before the original finish was removed showing the serial number too.

As far as selling the guitar, I like SG's but there's a good chance I might just sell whatever he trades me, so I've asked if he has anything else he might want to trade instead. I had mentioned no Strats or Teles in my ad since I've got one of each that I'm happy with, and he mentioned that's primarily what he has in his collection. I'll see what he comes back with.

Thanks everyone for the opinions/advice!

Trending Topics