sg faded w/crescent moons=neck heavy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by soapbar-strat, Aug 30, 2008.

1. soapbar-strat

soapbar-strat Member

Hi I think I want to buy my first sg and like the faded specials I've played at guitar center, nice and balanced on the strap and seem to sound good thru an amp that I'm not used to.

However, I want to have a lightweight mahogany body & neck/HB/ebony board guitar, and would prefer it was a set neck gibson type as opposed to a franken s/t.
    I also really like the finish and price on the faded series.

So, are the ones with ebony and moons neck heavy at all?
    I can't deal with neck heavy.

Also how does this model sound? Is it too bright with the thin body?

Thanks a-bunch

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

In my experience, all SGs are neck heavy. If that's a problem for you, use a leather or suede backed strap so it sticks to your shirt and keeps the neck up.

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I said all SG's are neck heavy in my recent review of my Blue Mist SG Special. Someone chimed in saying that that was not true.

I'd say the inherent design of SG's tends towards neck heaviness. The two I have are neck heavy, although as above, using a nice thick leather strap will hold it in place. I have yet to see one that isn't but I suspect it is in fact possible that there are SG's out there that are neck heavy.

Bottom line: does not matter. SG's are good fun, neck heavy or not. Just look at all the people that use them. BTW, good luck on finding a crecent moon SG. I had a crecent moon V from the same era that I sold. I like what I traded up to, but I still kind of miss that. as time goes on and they become harder to find, I will probably lament harder.

4. edward

edward Supporting Member

Yup, every SG I've personally felt was neck heavy. A friend of mine had the ebony/moon version (nice, IMHO), and honestly can't tell you it was any "more" neck heavy than the norm ...it's just the nature of the beast.

Edward

5. soapbar-strat

soapbar-strat Member

Thanks all, must have a strap like that on when I tried 'em at the store, I'll have to reinvestigate apparently!

6. auraelux

auraelux Member

SGs are neck heavy, I actually don't like them all that much, until I played one of the brown faded ones. Still neck heavy , but man it played like butter.