sg feedback problem

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nosignal, Jul 16, 2008.

1. nosignal

nosignal Member

One of my friends has a gibson faded sg, and he asked me to take a look at it, and i cant figure out whats wrong with it. The problem is that the neck pickup has barely any output at all, and the bridge pickup has way too much output, to the point where it feeds back when any gain is introduced to the signal. There is a cracked ceramic cap in between the neck pickup's volume and tone knobs, i was thinking that might have something to do with the low output. He put pickup covers on the pickups, but i don't think that would do anything as extreme as this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I can't imagine that the cracked cap would affect the output. The worst case there should be that the tone pot doesn't work properly. I'm guessing that the pickup is either grounding somewhere or is bad. You might also try bypassing the vol/tone pots for that pickup compeletely.

3. larimar

larimar Member

I would go through the electronics and replace the cap.

Usually humbuckers that come stock with covers are wax potted under the covers to help with microphonics. Could be the covers are causing some issues.

4. nosignal

nosignal Member

yeah i was starting to think it might have had something to do with the covers, because he said it never did that before.

5. nosignal

nosignal Member

anyone have any other ideas?