• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

SG historians. Humbucker to recreate a 61'

DrainBamage

What's the closest new production Gibson Humbucker to recreate the tones of a original early 61' or 62' SG? The 2018 SG has my attention. It has Gibson's somewhat new 61' Humbucker. Its a BurstBucker variant in which the screw has more windings instead of the typical slug.

The 61's are not available to purchase separately and is really the only difference from the 2017 model.

RickC

Peter Florance did a great 61 SG wind at one time. Not listed in his current lineup, but maybe the Humbucker 60's he offers now is the same or similar. You could ask him.

/rick

DrainBamage

I ask about the Gibson 61' humbucker as it comes stock with the 2018 Standard.
If its probably Gibsons most period correct wind for a early 60's SG Id consider the guitar.
But a 2017 SG price is good right now and might go with that if Burstbuckers were a better match.

cap10kirk

I ask about the Gibson 61' humbucker as it comes stock with the 2018 Standard.
If its probably Gibsons most period correct wind for a early 60's SG Id consider the guitar.
But a 2017 SG price is good right now and might go with that if Burstbuckers were a better match.
My 2014 LPJ had the 61 humbuckers. They really weren't anything all that special, just a PAF type with alnico 5 magnets. Granted, that's what a 61 would have come with, is an A5 PAF. But I wouldn't buy a 2018 SG just because you want the most vintage accurate pickups, any SG with PAF type pickups will have that sound.

cutaway

weren't the original winds all over the place? you'd have to specify a tone you're after, maybe on a recording, to get something that close. otherwise, it's just a roll of the dice. any decent PAF should do the trick

Last edited:

DrainBamage

My 2014 LPJ had the 61 humbuckers. They really weren't anything all that special, just a PAF type with alnico 5 magnets. Granted, that's what a 61 would have come with, is an A5 PAF. But I wouldn't buy a 2018 SG just because you want the most vintage accurate pickups, any SG with PAF type pickups will have that sound.
I have noticed the 61' pups have been equipped almost exclusively in the lower end models from what I remember. I have the Classic 57' pups and Burstbuckers already so this caught my eye.

corn husk bag

Yes, all over the place. I owned one since 1962 it was the first electric my dad bought me. So other kids down the street got the same thing. They sound different. That is why I suggested giving Tom Holmes a call. He knows some of the nuance of these pickups. Recently I bought a Japanese Orville by Gibson 61 and it rivals my original, plus the neck is more stable. Its a monster! It has the Classic 57s in it.

weren't the original winds all over the place? you'd have to specify a tone you're after, maybe on a recording, to get something that close. otherwise, it's just a roll of the dice. and decent PAF should do the trick

RJLII

weren't the original winds all over the place? you'd have to specify a tone you're after, maybe on a recording, to get something that close. otherwise, it's just a roll of the dice. and decent PAF should do the trick
This. It's like asking what pizza tasted like in 1961.

corn husk bag

The pizzas I made for my dad's shop in the 60s tasted great, Mequon / Thiensville, Wisconsin. The anchovies were all over the place though.:p Good enough to be rewarded with an SG Les Paul and a little later with a Vibrolux Reverb.:phones
This. It's like asking what pizza tasted like in 1961.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom