SG humbucker pickup recommendation

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alambler, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Alambler

Alambler Member

What kind of pickup do you like in your SG? I play everything from blues to punk to rock to ska and lots more... I was thinking of a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II in the neck and Seth Lover or JB in the bridge.

I am limited to what Sam Ash stores carry (my turn to spend the band sponsorship) which is mainly Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, and EMG.

Suggestions?...

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a set of Fralins in mine now. I like them a lot. They're a little darker and hotter than what I had in there before (a BurstBucker Pro and a 490R), which seems to compensate a bit for the SG's natural brightness.

In any case, they sound great through an EF86-powered amp.

3. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Since you are limited, I'd say your initial thoughts are pretty darn good. A set of Seths or Antiquities would do quite nice.

Don't overlook the Dimarzio PAF Classics. Great sounding pickups that kill in an SG. The Virtual Vintage PAF's would be a good choice too. A regular in the neck and a hot in the bridge should do the trick........don't overlook the PAF Classics though......

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I posted this same question on the Duncan forum. I just got an SG Standard, plays wonderfully but the stock pickups are a little weak and have lots of midrange.

I want to be able to play Cream, Judas Priest, ACDC, Black Sabbath, Gov't Mule - in other words, I want to cover a lot of sonic ground. I want a neck pickup to be thick and creamy smooth, and I want a bridge pickup to be loud, crunchy and bright but not ice pick brittle.

I've always been fond of Duncans myself. My Les Paul has a 59 neck and Custom 5 bridge, and I really like that sound. I was thinking about the same combination in the SG. I know it won't sound the same, and that's not what I'm going for. I just think the qualities I like about the Duncan set will work for the SG too. I could be way off base....?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions too. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm not looking to spend big bucks either if I don't have to!

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

59 neck and Pearly Gates bridge is a potent combo :)

6. Alambler

Alambler Member

I've got a set of Fralins in my Tele and they are incredible pickups. Unfortunately, they're not in my list of choices.

All of your suggestions are in line with what I was considering. Does EMG make a pickup that would cover the territory I am thinking? My only time with EMG's has been with my buddy's strat and they were too sterile for me. I prefer warmth and bite over string clarity and detail.

I might have to get several and try them all out. Thank you all for the assistance.

7. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

I've got a Wolfetone 'Marshallhead' in mine, good price-excellent pup.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The BEST pickups I've got for my SG is a pair of WCR Fillmores....if you can't afford the $300 for them next best pickup are those Dimarzio PAF Classics...Duncan ant. ect are to harsh for an SG...I had a Custom 5 in it before, and it wasn't singy....way off sounding...didn't like the guitar, and this SG usually sounds good w/anything

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I want to buy a SG, so I can try out different pups. My other humbuker guitars have classic 57s in two and burstbuker 2&3 in the other one. I have a Rio BBQ chrome covered I purchased for $40 I might put in the bridge. I'd be tempted to put super distortion and super 2 in the bridge and neck. That would kill in a standard. Help me make my mind up about wether to get a standard the best buy for the buck out there or the 61 reissue which comes with classic 57s. Alsol, tell me more about Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PAF HOT.

10. dogfood

dogfood Member

too bad you can't get a pair of Bareknuckle Warpigs:Devil

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The Duncan "Custom" in the bridge and 59' neck combo always works well for me.:D

12. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Jim at WCR just suggested a combo for me of Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge, or use a Fillmore bridge for harder rock.

Comments?

13. SFW

SFW Member

My personal favorite pickup combo in Gibsons is a Duncan 59 in the neck and a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge. Neck tones sing sweetly and the bridge is nice and fat. Warm and articulate. Covers all styles very well.

14. VanStone

VanStone Member

I' go with SD's. Either a Jazz or a '59 in the neck, and a Custom 5 in the bridge.

V

15. jw71

jw71 Member

I have the same combo in my SG Standard. I really love them. As far as harder rock, I think a lot of that depends more on the amp. Although I would love to try some Fillmores also.

When I swapped out the 490R/498T for the WCR's, there was a SUBSTANTIAL improvement in volume, tone, and harmonics. These pickups absolutely rock through my JTM45. Although they rock with the best of them, they are amazingly clear sounding, even as the get raunchy. They are far more lively and toneful, especially on the upper frets, where the stock pickups sucked. I haven't even adjusted the pole pieces yet because these pups sound so good. I get compliments on my tone regularly when I play out. When I crank my JTM45, my SG is now like an extension of my will. I know, that really sounds stupid, but these pickups in an SG through the right amp really sound outstanding.

I would highly recommend WCR's. And Jim is one hell of a nice guy.:AOK :dude

16. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I've been playing my '67 SG Standard w/maestro tailpiece a lot lately. It has a stock 7.36 neck T-Top, and a new Fralin 9.8 humbucker. I suppose its his standard hb, wound a bit hot as I specified to him. At a gig last Friday a guy said it was the best sounding SG he'd heard in many years. He has had a few SGs (and drinks!)

This guitar kills through my el-84 amp! The tone is very balanced, as I'm told the Fralins can be dark and compressed. The SG puts out plenty of highend clarity.

By coincidence my friend brought his Angus Young model SG over yesterday. I had played it years ago before I bought mine and thought it was awesome.

Comparing them now, I really like mine better. The AY model SG supposedly has high output pickups to Angus specs. My Fralin pickup was much hotter and nicer sounding. You could say 2 different guitars, but the wood is the same, and the hardware exactly the same, except the pickups.

17. bscepter

bscepter Member

If you're still interested, I'm now selling the Fralin-equipped SG Standard I have (I've got a CS SG on the way). PM me.

18. 6789

6789 Member

I just bought one of these. sounds great through a JCM 800.

19. Phineas

Phineas Member

you WCR guys think the goodwoods (supposedly darker) would balance out an sg's inherent brighter tone in a nice way?

20. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    WCR Crossroads did the trick in my '67 SG.