SG... I think I need one...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ashoar12, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ashoar12

ashoar12 Member

Well, I've got a Strat I'm tinkering around with, a tele that I love, a LP copy that is a pretty good imitater, and I've even got a project fat strat.

After all that, I think I need an SG to round out my collection of different tones. It may just be my lust for different guitars, but I'm ok with that too. Anyway, I am looking for a nice SG copy that is true to the SG look and sound. I'm looking for something quality, I want Gibson nice without the Gibson price. Is this impossible or does anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks.

2. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

You could get an SG special so you have some P90s in the mix. I used to be all humbuckers all the time. Now my guitars are a VOS Gibson LP Jr. and a Jazzmaster. You might need a semi-hollow body as well. 335s are super versatile and no other guitar will give you the open woody tone. I think an LP and SG are kinda redundant personally.

3. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

Gibson nice without the price? Sounds like you need an Orville!

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I agree, you should get a semi hollow body guitar! The sg is very similar to the paul, sound wise, but for something different, the es can be great.

dk

5. ashoar12

ashoar12 Member

Actually the tele that I have is a '69 thinline reissue semi hollow, and I really like the tone I get from it. I've just never been a fan of the feel or the style of the 335. You might be right, LP and SG might, in fact, be redundant. I just can't help myself, i need to KNOW...

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Check out Edwards for good Gibson copies.

7. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

You definately need an SG! I have a Strat, a Tele , a LP and an SG with P 90's.

8. Alvis

Alvis Member

Faded SG Special ,475 bucks,my best purchase in a long time

9. sarge40

sarge40 Member

I picked up a used SG Special (not faded) in excellent condition for $500. Deals on real Gibsons are out there if you are looking for the real thing, instead of a nice poly finished clone such as those already mentioned which are made very well too. Something about the nitro finish on the Gibbys does it for me though.