SG Maestro Bar Removal

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wsaraceni, Jan 20, 2020.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

I kinda want a SG. and I kinda like them with the maestro tailpiece. I just think they look better. Is there any reason you can't just remove the bar and have it function as not having a trem? Im thinking of getting one and just cutting it off to make it flush on both sides. is there any physical reason why i couldn't just do this? i don't really know what is inside or under the trem. best i can tell its just a piece of metal bent into a curve and it uses the metal itself as the "spring" to go back into place.

im guessing it's chromed so it might need to be refinished.

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

You could get a standard and add just the tailpiece cover, kinda like this guy (he just uses the frame):

3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Basically the spring bends back on itself then the 'comb' is a block of metal with a channel in the front edge that the spring metal goes into and slots in the back edge for the strings. It's just held on by string tension.

Yes, you could cut off the bit the arm connects to and yes, it's plated so you've got a problem covering the exposed metal. Alternatively you could keep the original in the case and make a replacement comb out of polished aluminium - that would be my preference as it's non destructive, and you can do it with hand tools.

A few people have done inventive solutions to this as well. Clapton's 'The Fool' SG went through a few tailpiece incarnations, one of which was to cut off the spring of the vibrola and drill holes for the strings in the block the spring was mounted to, and Derek Trucks's SG also had a chopped vibrola, this time with a stop bar in place of the spring.

4. wox

wox Supporting Member

SG Derek Trucks model has a decorative Maestro

[​IMG]

5. wsaraceni

i saw the derek Trucks SG. that just looks weird to me.

Bebop Tom likes this.
  6. wox

wox Supporting Member

7. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

8. zhivago

zhivago Member

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Why would you want to cut it off? You can just unscrew the trem arm and leave it in the case pocket.

johnsav and 64 Tele like this.
  10. wsaraceni

Symmetry I guess

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

The horns aren't symmetrical. Maybe shave those down, too? :rotflmao

direwolf and 64 Tele like this.
  12. 67Firebird

67Firebird Member

I like the looks of an SG with the maestro tailpiece as well, but never used the vibrola and found the piece of metal that sticks out gets in the way of the switch and knobs. It is just a piece of bent metal like you say and cutting it would work. I went a different route with mine after seeing someone else doing the same. I like the looks and you can leave the cover on or off like I did.

[​IMG]

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

What bridge is that on your SG?.
    Al

14. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

If you think the string comb looks funny with the handle removed, you could just swing the handle backward out of your way, and park it alongside the cover.
    [​IMG]
    Do you have the butter knife handle on it or the one with the round rod and the plastic tip?

Bob Pollock likes this.
  15. 67Firebird

67Firebird Member

It's a Compton Compensated Bridge. I no longer have it on the guitar and went back to the original bridge. I just couldn't get it to intonate properly. It is a very comfortable bridge and lots of Gretsch players really like them.

16. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

zhivago and FLYING V 83 like this.
  17. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

The Mojoaxe device won't work on new-style sideways vibratos like my 2013 SG/LP
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't stay in tune no matter what I did (including locking tuners, new nut & 'locking up' the trem)
    So I decided to eliminate it. Cut the arm off & used bits of metal to screw it down to the body.
    [​IMG]

It actually gave a much better break angle over the bridge!
    [​IMG]

Finished product looks fine to me, and it stays in tune rock solid now.
    [​IMG]

wox likes this.
  18. wox

wox Supporting Member

I haven't poked around inside a new sideways, but I wonder if you could just replace those two rods with threaded rod, and put bolts around the moving parts to keep them in place.

[​IMG]

19. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Besides those bolts, everything else is rivets and can't be 'adjusted'.
    I tried screwing them down 'til the springs were fully compressed, but doing that moved the bar out over the jack & scraping the tone knob.
    Essentially making it in the way. The assembly has the ground wire under it at the bottom by the strap pin which has to be maintained (or re-routed to the bridge which I didn't want to try)
    Like I said, the end result works & looks good to me. Thought about trying to install a stop TP but again, didn't want to drill a bunch.

20. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Couldn't you have just replaced the springs with some sort of solid spacer, like a short section of tubing or a stack of hex nuts?