SG Neck-to-Body angle

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jim Wagner Pickups, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

I just picked up an '02 SG Special and like playing it alot. More my style, those and V's. But to me, it seems the angle of the body to the neck is on the rather extreme side. The bridge seems a lot higher than I am used to on my other SGs, and consequently the bridge pickup has to be so high that the bottom of the coils are actually slightly above the top of the pickguard. No mounting rings on these.
    My other 2 SGs have the body angle much less steep than that, almost approaching parallel, and required me to do some extra work on the chassis legs to get the buckers more parallel with the strings....
    Is that an odd one to anyone, or do any of you have a similar deep angle?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Wow. Got any pics Jim? BTW...congrats!

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I like SG's and owned one once for a couple weeks, so I'm no expert but that just doesn't sound right at all.

4. Jim Wagner Pickups

Hi F,
    Not yet, I'll see if I can sometime today. It was a pretty good deal. Local guy bought it new back in '02 for about $1200, and only played it 5-6 times.
    So he comes over here with an Epi LP he just got brand new for under $200. Loves the way it played, and needed all the electronics and pups swapped out. GT was only going to give him 6 for it, so I put in an Am Steele set, electronics, re-wired the switch, and gave him another 3. We were both pretty happy with the deal, and I think this is the axe I will be using on Nov. 20 with the MTB in Jackson CA, and on New Years with them as well.
    I stuck in all new electronics, a BillyBucker neck, and an IceBucker bridge. Perfection for that one.
    LPs, while I believe are the best looking and best sounding axes as a general rule, I just could never get over the single-cut design. Gets in my way in the upper registers, and so does the switch. SGs and Vs for me Bro.....:rotflmao

5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

You woulda loved the Tesla show here last week then Jim. SG's, V's and Explorers everywhere, lol.

6. Jim Wagner Pickups

Never had a REAL Explorer myself, I have a Hamer Flametop import Standard. I have never liked it mainly because the bottom cut seems WAY to shallow and it is a real pain/effort to get at the upper frets. Especially for my short fingers.....lol
    The kids like it though. They picked it out.

7. Jim Wagner Pickups

Here's a coupla pix so you can see what I mean. I hope..... hahaha
    It may be a deep slant, but fits my style/hands very well. I have a Tone-Pros bridge setup on the way, so I should have it all done in about 7-10 days. That stock bridge really SUCKS !! Roy stuck Tone-Pros gear on an LP of mine awhile back, and I really like it a lot better. The bridge on this seems so flimsy in comparison.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Im just going to throw this out there:

Are we SURE thats a legit Gibson? Seems to me that the angle on that is probably 6-7* not the 2-2.5* should be at.

The only other thing I can think of is someone had the neck off at one point and improperly reset it.

9. Jim Wagner Pickups

Yep, brand new from GT. Weird, ain't it? lol like I said, none of my others are any where NEAR that steep of a rake. Steep enough to almost wrap around my body......:rotflmao

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

Huh. mine seems steep, but not even CLOSE to that..

11. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

sounds like the truss rod is out on the guitar, it sets the angle of the neck, the pups and bridge are adjustible very easily. Truss rod is easy to adjust, but its also easy to screw up.

something I wrote a while back

To check the truss rod, hold a string at the first fret and the 15th fret, you should see a gap of 1/64" or .4mm if you see no gap or the gap is more than 1/32" or .8mm above the 6th or 7th fret, use the largest gap. The G string is usually around 1/64" or .4mm that is what I use to judge the gaps, if its as big as an A string I need to adjust the trussrod, however a large gap will not be causing a buzzing its just uncomfortable to play.

if you need to adjust the truss rod, however a buzzing guitar will have no gap if the trussrod needs adjusting, to increase the gap by turn the adjuster 1/8 turn counter clockwise, you want to keep the turns small, and write down your turns on a piece of paper so you can go back, sometimes it takes a while for the adjustments to take hold, so if you don't see the change immediately don't make a major change, also a trussrod usually needs a turn back and forth to loosen it so it will turn.

12. dougk

I was thinking along the lines of what Austinrocks is suggesting... but in my mind to get a neck with that much of an angle based purely on over tightening the truss rod the guitar would be nearly unplayable.

It would have to be bowed backwards ALOT to the point where you probably would never be able to play open chords on it.

But worth a shot, count the number of turns you take off (counter clock wise) and see what happens. Frankly a neck side shot might be a good help here.

13. Jim Wagner Pickups

Trust me guys. I have the action set nice and low, fast, tunes easily and for an SG , does an EXCELLENT job of staying in tune. Truss rod adjustment is dead on. As good as anything else I own or have tried. To change that pitch, I would literally have to pull the neck off and re-set it. You should have seen the angle of the stock pups in it. Parallel with the body. It wasn't stupid funny, it was flat out hilarious. I had to take the new pups, grab a pair of pliers, and bend the legs back in the opposite direction to get them to look like they do now.
    Like I said before, when I compare to the other SGs in the house here, the bodies have probably less than 1/2 of that pitch. The only problem I have is there is a little lack of sustain in the axe itself, and I know from experience a new bridge will solve that problem. The stock one on it now is junk. When I first got it, whenever I truck and open A on the A string, it sounded like the trussrod rattling inside of it. Turned out to be the bridge making all that racket. Doug, you pretty much are seeing it for what it really is. I am kinda thinking I should almost go with fatter studs as well. Like on my '69 that has a BadAss on it. This bridge is literally set twice as high as anything else here (about 30 axes).

14. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

I just think that having the bridge screws that far out will mean that they will bend more easily and may have to be replaced.

I've never seen a headstock inlay like that on a Gibson. What is that, a leaf or something?

15. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

It's not that bad. I've seen other Gibsons with worse neck angles. The lack of pickup rings just makes it look more extreme than it actually is.

16. Jim Wagner Pickups

Yeah, a leaf, but it's just a sticker the last owner put on it. I just haven't bothered peeling it off yet.

True on the rings. I thought about putting some on, but there is no room to do that on the neck. It'd look dumb to just have one on the bridge I think. Oh well, I didn't get it for looks anyhow. Just something to start with to make the ultimate grab and go axe for me. The price was right. I'd been thinking about getting a new SG for the last year or so, but just couldn't see payin 12-1500 for a decent one. It came by in the nick of time. I needed something to demo some new pups in anyhow, and I've always been very particular to SGs.

On those skinny studs, I thought the same thing. That's why I turned around to look at the '69 here with the nice fat posts...... but I guess I would only do that if the stockers just can't hack it. So far, zero trouble. I've never owned an SG that tuned so easy and held the tuning for so long.

17. jowe

jowe Member

That looks perfectly normal to me. Thats how Sg standards are cause of the lack of pickup rings.

18. dougk

Jim just for reference this is my firebird. 2.125* angle in the neck with a slightly thicker than normal fretboard (the new programming is 2.25* and a 1/4" thick fretboard). My money is on either gibson really screwed the pooch on that one or the neck has been off at one point and incorrectly reset. Nice thing is if its a real issue, it's a pretty simple one to solve. I built mine with an ABR style bridge too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would worry about having that much "leverage" on the ABR style posts with the bridge that high pulling the posts through the wood. Converting over to bushings would probably increase the strength and solve that problem.

I'd bug me, I'd reset the neck angle.

19. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

The SG in question looks pretty normal to me...unlike the Firebird above. If you are worried about the bridge don't get carried away screwing down the stop tailpiece. Caved in tunamatics are pretty much a regular feature of older Gibson guitars.

20. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

That neck angle is way off. A major mistake on Gibsons part. The top of the bridge should be no more than 5/8 off the top of the body. Poor engineering.