SG Necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by David Robrecht, Feb 15, 2008.

1. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of getting an SG Standard or '61 reissue. I'm a bit concerned about the 50's fat neck on the Standard. I've played the SG Classic with P-90's that was a little big, but not bad. Has anyone compared the Standard, '61 RI or the Classic? Is the Standard's neck really that big? I have the 60's neck on my LP Standard and like that just fine. Thanks.
    Dave

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

The neck on the Classic is thicker than the neck on the Standard so you should be fine, but play it first for sure.

3. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Ditto XKnight.

I have a Standard and it is comfortable. It is bigger than the neck on your LP however.

4. David Robrecht

Well, that's good to hear. The Classic was full, but comfortable. If the Standard is thinner then that should be fine. I played a LP Standard a few years ago with the 50's neck and it was really fat. The SG's must just be different or Gibson changed some things recently. Thanks for the help!
    Dave

5. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I have recent models of the Classic, Standard, GOTW SG-3, and the GOTW 67RI. They are all based on the standard and all have the same beefy neck. I had an older Classic a few years ago that did seem a bit fatter. But right now I'd pretty much guarantee that the standard will feel the same as the classic.

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I like fat necks, but having one on an SG seems really weird to me.

7. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I have a '07 SG Jr. It has a huge neck, like a fifties Gibson. Not sure if they were all that way. Killer tone and sustain.

8. David Robrecht

I haven't played the Jr. Gibson doesn't do a very good job of describing their necks if there is a description at all. Hopefully one of my local guitar emporiums has these guitars to compare, but that's asking a lot.
    Dave

9. tomr63

tomr63 Member

I had a SG Standard last year for a little while but sold it because I did not like the big neck. I now have an Epi Elitist 61 RI SG. The neck is thinner and much more comfortable to me than the Standard was.

The funny thing is, I have a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany which has a pretty fat neck and I like it. For some reason the big neck on the SG just didn't feel right to me.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I know for sure the 61 reissue is a thinner neck than the Standard or the Classic. I thought the Standard and Classic had the same neck .... or the ones I played felt that way. :confused:

11. David Robrecht

Well, I guess I'll have to go play whatever I can find. It seems Gibson may be a little inconsistent. Thanks for all the input.
    Dave

12. 8Painting

8Painting Member

With all of the SG neck talk.

Ive always wondered why they just didnt make it a neck thru degsign

13. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

Supreme's have the thinest neck.

14. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

I think SG Standards have 60s slim necks.

The only thing I worry about with SGs, especially with the 50s baseball bat necks, is the guitar being neck-heavy since the body is so small. I would recommend a 60s style slim taper neck not only because I think they play better, but also to be safe. If you like the larger necks, make sure the body is a solid heavier piece of mahogany so that the guitar doesn't feel imbalanced towards your left side when you're standing up.

15. SgMaster

SgMaster Supporting Member

Just like everyone else said, the Standard's neck is larger than your LP 60s slim taper, which is the same neck on the '61 Reissue SG. The classic, as far as I could remember was similar to the standard. I switched from strat to SG standard no problem.

16. fatherjones.com

fatherjones.com Member

I have a new SG-3 Fireburst which is basically an SG Classic -- with swamp ash body vs. mahog -- and a three pickup pickguard vs. two humbuckers.

A weird guitar to be sure -- but sonically very, very cool. Also, I like the beefy neck. It is neck heavy, relative to the featherweight body -- but it's no problem when strapped. It's actually light as a tennis racket -- but with a fat neck -- (and really good fret work by the way.)

Don't know what kind of blade single coils the pickups are -- but they sound killer.

17. David Robrecht

I appreciate all the help. :AOK My brother just picked up a Steve Howe model ES-175. That has a bigger neck on it. I got to play it this weekend and it was very comfortable. If that's anything like the Standard's neck, I'll dig it just fine. Thanks.
    Dave

18. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

The new standards are awesome. I just got one before Christmas had to play 4, but I think I found a good one.

19. David Robrecht

OK, I had a chance to play an SG Standard today. The neck is about the same as the Classic I played, full but not too deep. Pretty comfortable overall. I'm not sure the SG sounds that much different than my Les Paul, though. I didn't have a side to side comparison to be fair. I'm sure others will disagree. ;) So the neck is no longer a question or issue, it's whether or not I really need it and how it will compliment my other guitars. Thanks!
    Dave