SG sounds honky played clean through tweed deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MikeVB, May 7, 2016.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

My son's 2013 SG Std sounds awesome through my tweed deluxe when jumpered and cranked. But it's a struggle to get a good clean tone with it. It just sounds honky for lack of better word.

It's a shame cause I'd like to take it as my sole guitar for some gigs/jams with that little amp.

I'm hesistant to start down the pu swapping path on his guitar cause he loves it as is.

2. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

Get an eq pedal and suck out some mids.

Average Joe and darkwaters like this.
  3. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Absolutely this.

4. jota

jota Member

Some weeks ago I played a 61ri through my Tweed Deluxe and loved it!
    I don't know how are you getting your clean sound but I crank the volume of the channel I'm not using to clean the sound up.
    What pickups the guitar have? I thought the 57s sounded amazing!

5. cugel

cugel Member

A humbucker into a 5e3 will never be pristine. Use your guitars volume control and back way way off

garret, GWCTN, shane8 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

That's what I was thinking.

The beauty of a tweed Deluxe is in the overdriven tones...clean tones barely exist.

GWCTN likes this.
  7. sg~guy

sg~guy Member

-define "honky" ya cracka!!!-

gkoelling and jiml like this.
  8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Maybe lower the pickups a little?

27sauce likes this.
  9. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

what he said^^ The two channels are interactive and you can get some different sounds by turning the volume knob of the channel that you're not plugged into.

GWCTN likes this.
  10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Guitar on full and vol down on amp does it sound brighter, cleaner, does the preamp still clip?

11. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Honky as in "goose" not as in George Jefferson.

sg~guy likes this.
  12. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Nah, I get some beautiful cleans with my tele through it.

13. jcs

jcs Member

Are you using the guitars volume at all?

Do you use both pickups or combine both pickups?

If you use the guitars volume and still get muddiness rolled down to 6 or 7, I would consider a treble bleed mod or a pickup change or...... first, try adjusting the pickup height as in up and down.

Not all SG's sound alike at all.....I have played and heard many thru my 48 Deluxe from my 65 Special thru my buddies extensive vintage SG collection to Epi SG's.

Backing the guitar volume off on SG's is usually a must with tweed amps imo to get clean chords but adjust those pickups first.

I also went to an 11 set on my SG's fwiw.

14. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yes, you're correct. I'm aware of how 5e3 circuits work. I actually built the amp.

I'm a long time guitar > cable > amp player mainly because I'm lazy about dragging around and tweaking pedals. So, I've historically cranked my amps and used all of the guitar controls and variations of my right hand technique to the fullest extent.

I'm not having problems getting a clean sound from the SG - 5e3, but rather I'm having difficulty getting clean sounds that I find pleasing tonally. I think the earlier posters regarding an EQ pedal are on the right track. But I wanted first to see if there was a general opinion out there regarding the stock pickups on this particular model. To be honest I'm not crazy about the guitar's tone through my 1972 Princeton Reverb either. Less honky, but still very honky and squawky.

jcs likes this.
  15. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

No idea what to tell you myself. I don't like A2 especially in SG's and ESPECIALLY clean. The pick attack on A2 is muted and plunky compared to any other magnet. When you've got some drive on it it's not bad and not as noticeable, but clean it just makes me cringe. I did a quick search on magnet swaps and it appears people like the sound of both Alnico 4 and Unoriented A5 in the bridge of 57 Classics. If you don't like the sound of the neck pickup either, A4 is the most popular choice there too. This would be the cheapest and easiest solution by far, magnets are cheap and the best source is AddictionFX on eBay.

This said, in my experience, Unoriented A5 may make the bridge more honky, OR it may shift the honk to a more pleasant frequency. I find A5 to be the honkiest sounding magnet all around. I can't really specify why, but I HATE certain types of honk, but others I find work well. For example, I don't really like any of Throbak's A5 based pickups (although I LOVE some of his other pickups and think he's a phenomenal winder), but I love other A5 based pickups from ReWind Electric and Sheptones Tribute set. They all have honk, but I find the Throbak's to be unpleasantly honky, but the ReWind's and Shep's pleasantly honky. The part I love about A5 the most is that the pick attack is a lot sharper, more like a Tele.

For you, I think that starting with Alnico 4 would be perfect. A4 has a flatter EQ curve than A2 or A5 and should not be overly honky. They will also give you a better pick attack.

MikeVB likes this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Amp volume up, guitar volume down is the formula for 5e3 cleans.

17. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

What preamp tubes are you running. I found a 5751 in V1 calms the amp down just a bit in a good way. But a tweed circuit is going to be mid heavy, and some guitars just don't sound right through them.
    An eq pedal would probably help you out. I actually have used a cheap Danelecto Fish n Chips pedal that worked fine.

18. jcs

jcs Member

Thats why I mentioned the treble bleed mod....it changes the EQ somewhat as you roll the volume down and you can vary it with different values of caps and resistors

I use it on maybe 5 of my guitars and it literally saved all of them.....most of these were total mud with the volume below 8 or so (which is different seemingly than your issue).

I am curious if the bridge or neck PU are both "honky and squawky" or if one is worse than the other?

The issue is you DO like the cranked sound, which I assume is the guitar volume on 9 to 10 and the amp on 9 to 10.

A speaker change might make a difference...... I have dozens of 12" speakers so I can at least try a few.

Other than that a PU change may be in order....I'm a hoarder and I have lots of humbuckers and they do vary a lot in tone and response.

Fwiw, I gave up on the "cranked amp and work the guitar controls" with certain guitars and amps....i've narrowed down several OD pedals.

19. jcs

jcs Member

EQ can work....I just hate all of this hiss.

I assume he is running a 12ay7 in V1?

20. jcs

jcs Member

I would try some other humbucker guitars thru your tweed Deluxe to see if it is still "honky" as you describe.

The speaker choice in 5E3 circuit always sparks much debate.