SG Std. substitute

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jay42, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jay42

jay42 Member

What dual HB guitars are most like an SG Std? I'm looking for less, or no neck dive, but the same tone and relative weight.

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Im thinking about getting a PRS Mira for this....

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

My go to guitar for over 10 years is a Guild S-100. Great neck, excellent build quality. It has a duncan jb and 59, with coil splitter.

I've owned two SG Standards, but sold both. If I could only keep one guitar, it'd be my guild.

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Colonel Robert Morris brought Mosley Guitars to my attention recently because they're doing a sig guitar for him. They seem to be doing a couple cool SG knockoffs.

http://www.mosleyguitars.com/

Their website needs some work. It's a bit hard for me to navigate, but here's one of their SGs:

[​IMG]

Also, I know that Jason Lollar was building some really sharp SG knockoffs.

5. jay42

jay42 Member

The Mira...I'm iffy on the looks and the pickguard. It looks a bit thick too...more like a double cutaway Les Paul TV. I'll head off to the evil empire and try one though. Thanks! Any others?

(I'm not looking for something shaped like an SG. Too much neck dive.)

6. rooster

rooster Member

That Mosley looks good. If I could get one in ivory nitro unworn with crown inlays, I'd be saving up some $$$.

rooster.

7. echale3

echale3 Member

How about a Faded SG? You can pick one up used for pretty cheap, and they are available at GC and MF. I traded for a NIB one, and it's not neck heavy at all like the Standard. The only difference in terms of electronics is that the Faded has a 490T instead of a 498T which makes a little difference in tone, but that's fixable. I just installed pickup covers on mine, it looks better that way, IMO....

8. drunkenguitar

drunkenguitar Member

I used to own a late 1996 Gibson SG too. I never liked the neck dive and it just seemed too fragile. Like it'd break if I looked at it the wrong way. Anyhow, so I go to a music shop about a few months later to trade the thing in for something different. I see a Guild S-100 thinking, "Hmm, I bet this thing is just like the SG"..I pick it up and play for like an hour straight. Instantly bonded with it. I never even bothered to play the other guitars that were there. Gibsons, PRS, etc..

9. ghoti

ghoti Member

You just want the sound, or do you want the feel as well?

Schecter's got that mahogany/bucker sound in several of their models, which don't generally look like an SG.

Esp Vipers have more of the look, and also sound pretty beefy.

10. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

There's always the Yamaha SG2000 SG copy. I've always been pretty impressed with them, even though they're Yahama.

11. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I've owned two Gibson SG's a 1973 Standard and 2001 '61 Reissue with a vibrola neither of them were neck heavy.

12. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

Here is an ESP/LTD Viper 1000...
    [​IMG]
    -beautiful discontinued flamed top vintage burst finish
    -locking Sperzel tuners
    -Seymour Duncan Custom 5 bridge and Seymour Duncan Jazz neck
    -abalone everywhere (as you can see)

13. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have an I own a 38 year old SG that I do not plan to sell - ever. I did see something that interests me. If you can get over who sells it, it looks like it is a great guitar. I loved the idea of a neck-thru-body SG.

14. jay42

jay42 Member

That's what I have...it's a SG2100 or SGB2100...I can't remember. It tips the scale at 9.95 lbs. Part of the SG tone is less high end. The Yamaha is thru neck, maple capped, with an ebony fretboard. Relatively bright. Did I mention that it weighs too much? :horse

I will look at the Schecters too. [eew! won't be buying any Schecters]