SG Strings Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by steadygarcia, Jul 17, 2011.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

What are the heaviest gauge strings you SG players have used on your SGs? Thinking of going to 12's, do I need to have it set up after I do, or can I just swap out the 10's on it and move up to 12's with no issues?

2. sliberty

sliberty Member

This question is not unique to SG's. When moving up from 10's to 12's on any guitar, the odds are that the nut will bind somewhat, resulting in some tuning stability problems. This can be solved by carefully filing the nut slots to accomodate the fatter strings. It also might turn out that the increased tension on the neck will result in more relief in the neck, requiring a truss rod adjustment. Since you will need a setup, you might as well not change the strings yourself at all. Just bring a set of 12's to your guitar tech, explain that you want to move up to 12's, and ask him to do a setup. A string change is part of a setup anyway.

By the way, that is a big jump. It is a lot harder to play 12's than it is to play 10's, and will take some getting used to. If you haven't played and gotten used to 12's already on some other guitar, you might want to move up to 11's as an interim step and let your hands get stronger before moving all the way up to 12's. Just a thought.

3. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

10s are too thin for me, and 12s are a little hard to bend. 11s are perfect on mine. BTW I use Chromes which are one of the brighter flats.

4. sliberty

sliberty Member

I play 10's, 10.5's, and 11's on my various guitars depending upon how much I am playing and how strong or out of shape my hands are. I did use 12's on my SG many years ago, but it was setup specifically for slide (high action, big strings).

5. strtdv

strtdv Member

On a 24.75" scale length guitar I find I need at least 11's or 12's to get the feel I'm used to (normally play 25.5" scale guitars with 10's or 10.5's).

If the SG came stock with 9's, then you probably will need a setup on changing to 12's as the neck bow and intonation will both be significantly different after the string change.

9's to 12's is a big change.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Thanks all. It currently has 10's. I want to switch to 12's because I play heavier gauge strings on my other guitars. My Jazzmaster has 14's, and my Jaguar has 12's, so I'm quite familiar with heavy gauge strings. Good advice on the set-up, I as thinking of doing that anyway. Cheers!

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

10's for big albert style bends! and they are plenty thick for a big tone.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011