SH Tele pots/caps suggestions?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DainBramage, Sep 29, 2008.

1. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

I'm looking for a good pot/cap combo for a Tele with a single coil bridge pup and and empty HB routed neck cavity that I want to try a double coil pup in (a Duncan P-Rails to be specific). I'm trying to get the best sound from both, but realize that it'll probably be a compromise, with a master volume/master tone guitar like a Tele. I looked at the Fender wiring diagram for a Fat Tele that uses 2-500K pots, .022mf cap and a 270K resistor, one side to where the single coil hot meets the switch, the other to ground as a treble bleed. I've also been told to use a 500K volume and 250K tone pot with a .047mf cap. All I know for a fact, at this point, is that the HB I had in there years ago sounded way mudded out with the 2-250K pots that came with the Tele. Anyone out there have any practical experience with this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

I've recently gone through this and tried various combos. I have the 500k vol pot and the 250k tone with 320k resistor value and .047 cap. I use the tone control far more on the bridge (and between) position and perfer the 250 tone pot because of that, but it does work w/o problem on neck. If you go w/500k tone pot then a 220k resistor should put you in similar territory.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

That fat tele has a non-standard, 2-pole 5 way switch. The switch does coil tapping on the humbucker and also switch the 270K resistor in and out.

The 270K resistor is out when the neck humbucker in series is on (position 5). At this setting, the full 500K volume pot is used. When in other setting with single coils, the resistor is in and is wired across the hot and ground of the 500K pot which now become around 250K in value with the resistor in.

The value of the volume pot has much greater effect on tone than the tone pot, which doesn't make much difference between 250k and 500K.

4. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

Thanks, both of you, for your responses. Both were quite helpful. I was looking at the diagram for the American HS Tele, not the US Fat Tele. Ooops! I have a Fender 5-way superswitch I can use that I believe is a double pole version of the switch in the Fender diagram that RvChevron refers to. Is this correct? If so, this solves one problem but creates another. The HB I'm going to use is a Duncan P-rails that has a P-90 for one coil and a single rail for the other coil. Their wiring diagram adds a SPDT on-off-on mini toggle that allows switching between full HB, just the P-90 coil, or just the single rail coil. Hot lead goes to the top lug then to the 3-way switch, top and bottom coil finish wires go to middle lug, and ground leads go to bottom lug, then to ground (probably obvious to you all, but I wanted to paint a complete picture). Any ideas as to how I can incorporate the full HB,P-90 only and single rail only options into the Fat Tele wiring scheme and still keep the resistor in the circuit for all of the single coil options (including my single coil bridge pickup)? Thanks!

5. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

Now that I look at it, my 5-way Super Switch is a four pole, 5 lug plus common lug switch.