Shakedown Amps Jerry Garcia modified Dual Showman Reverb/Twin Reverb

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds great, Brian! I especially liked your tone on the second clip (#38) -- very articulate, with a nice sting. :cool:

Joe modded a Frenzel AB763-based amp for me in spring of 2013. I had a good experience with him, on the whole, and the work he did on my amp was first rate and really helped clarify its tone -- took it into similar territory as your Showman. He's an interesting guy, very knowledgable and passionate what about what he does. My only issue with him was that he was tough to reach at times, and I think he could have done better (or tried a bit more) at managing my expectations as a customer. But the bottom line for me was that he did exactly what he said he would do, which was make my AB763-based amp sound more like one of Jerry's TRs, and he did it in a reasonable amount of time. He definitely knows that tone (as well as others, I'm sure), and he knows how to get it. His prices were reasonable, too.

Enjoy your amp, it's a sweet setup!

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
How does it compare to your Fargen in the pic? Is that a Jim Weider sig?

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
How does it compare to your Fargen in the pic? Is that a Jim Weider sig?
That is the Jim Weider. I just picked it up last week.I forgot about the Shakedown as i had sent it to Joe awhile ago. The JW is awesome. It came with a 1x12. I haven't had a chance to compare the 2. They're in the same ballpark , Blackface 6L6's though the Shakedown is 100 vs 40 watts. Ill try to get a side by side comparison through the same cabinet.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
A great player knows no bad amp.

Joe clearly has a formula for tweaking an amp to sound great. What's a bit out of wak is how he learned so much from those who openly shared, yet keeps his formula as "secret sauce". Not exactly "giving back" is he?

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
A great player knows no bad amp.

Joe clearly has a formula for tweaking an amp to sound great. What's a bit out of wak is how he learned so much from those who openly shared, yet keeps his formula as "secret sauce". Not exactly "giving back" is he?
It's all pops and buzzers to me any way. I didn't question or ask, just went on faith of what I heard in clips. I wanted a twin that got close to the Live at the Keystone. I don't know what he did or how he did it but I'm glad he did....whatever he did. Best Twin I've ever heard.

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds great, Brian! I especially liked your tone on the second clip (#38) -- very articulate, with a nice sting. :cool:

Joe modded a Frenzel AB763-based amp for me in spring of 2013. I had a good experience with him, on the whole, and the work he did on my amp was first rate and really helped clarify its tone -- took it into similar territory as your Showman. He's an interesting guy, very knowledgable and passionate what about what he does. My only issue with him was that he was tough to reach at times, and I think he could have done better (or tried a bit more) at managing my expectations as a customer. But the bottom line for me was that he did exactly what he said he would do, which was make my AB763-based amp sound more like one of Jerry's TRs, and he did it in a reasonable amount of time. He definitely knows that tone (as well as others, I'm sure), and he knows how to get it. His prices were reasonable, too.

Enjoy your amp, it's a sweet setup!
Thanks man!! do you have any clips of the Frenzel?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
It's all pops and buzzers to me any way. I didn't question or ask, just went on faith of what I heard in clips. I wanted a twin that got close to the Live at the Keystone. I don't know what he did or how he did it but I'm glad he did....whatever he did. Best Twin I've ever heard.
I hear ya. On that recording, isn't he playing through a Mesa? It's amongst my favorite of his tones... Just killer. Great playing as well.

BrianK

Gold Supporting Member
I hear ya. On that recording, isn't he playing through a Mesa? It's amongst my favorite of his tones... Just killer. Great playing as well.
I've always heard it was a strat through the twin. I agree, it's my favorite. The deluxe 4cd box that came out a few years ago is so good.

Trending Topics