• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Shaky Hands Warmup?

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Chromatic scales. Up and down the neck with various patterns. The main focus is tempo. Play slower than you are inclined to and keep the tempo STEADY!
I just play chromatically all the way up and all the way back down the neck. Literally “1,2,3,4” fingers on each string. And “4,3,2,1” back down. Move up a fret. Up to as far as I can go and then work back down to the first fret. It’s fairly mindless (or at least it can be), but I’m playing and warming up. I usually sit with my guitar as along as I can before we hit the stage and do that exercise. Seems to work for me.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I forget where I read it, but I have also heard a very good source also say "improv classes" are the best thing.

Normally I tell people that the reason they get nervous is that they really don't know the material well enough to play it. They say amateurs practice until they get it right, pros practice until they can't get it wrong. When you know your material that well it frees up your mind to be in the moment, and listen to your band and fit in, rather than drifting off trying to remember the bridge chord changes which is a sure-fire way to mess up.

But, if you are not quite good enough to learn a song cold yet, then you have to do the best you can. The key to NOT making mistakes is being in the moment, so even if a mistake occurs it is quickly fixed and ignored. The worst that can happen is complete brain freeze which can only happen when you literally do not know what to play.

So, I could say "practice your parts" to warm up, but nervousness is different. So, I have heard improv, where you KNOW you have to keep going, no matter what, is one of the best ancillary things to study to help with stage fright.

Or there is this.... :)

Tdog

I just play chromatically all the way up and all the way back down the neck. Literally “1,2,3,4” fingers on each string. And “4,3,2,1” back down. Move up a fret. Up to as far as I can go and then work back down to the first fret. It’s fairly mindless (or at least it can be), but I’m playing and warming up. I usually sit with my guitar as along as I can before we hit the stage and do that exercise. Seems to work for me.
I start with that then I go 1423 or 4132, then some combination of those jumping 2 frets up, then 2 frets down on every string change

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
I need help with a warmup routine to get my hands and mind relaxed. I am a nervous person in general and when I start playing with others it takes time for me to get comfortable. I don't have a warm up routine and I gotta believe that is a factor that makes things worse. Particularly because if I make a mistake early it becomes a cascading effect...I get tight, my insides are out of wack, my mind goes blank, I start sweating, all that. It's like I need to run a mile or two before practice to get calm. How can I translate that to a warmup routine? Suggestions appreciated!

What are you so nervous about? I would run a couple of miles - and see what happens. But. more to the the point - go to a therapist and find out what drives the behavior - cure the illness not the symptoms.

Pooh & Annie

What are you so nervous about? I would run a couple of miles - and see what happens. But. more to the the point - go to a therapist and find out what drives the behavior - cure the illness not the symptoms.
?!?
He doesn’t need a therapist to figure out why he has one of the most common and understood anxieties in existence.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
?!?He doesn’t need a therapist to figure out why he has one of the most common and understood anxieties in existence.
.I get tight, my insides are out of wack, my mind goes blank, I start sweating, all that - that isn't normal or common to have that much stress. And aside from that treating the symptoms of stress do nothing to relive the stress. I stand by my claim that he should see a therapist.

Rick CD

.I get tight, my insides are out of wack, my mind goes blank, I start sweating, all that - that isn't normal or common to have that much stress. And aside from that treating the symptoms of stress do nothing to relive the stress. I stand by my claim that he should see a therapist.
In the real world, both of you are correct. Most anxiety disorders respond best to a combination of CBT (with a therapist) and medication.

Twoinch

Therapy for performance anxiety?

These anxieties are some of the hardest to work through, because it's often not based in irrationality.

Anxiety is a very normal response to stressors... Stressors like performances.. It's biological and evolutionary. To expect that people not get stressed by performance anxiety is not normal.

Cbt can help, as can exposure therapy. But performance anxiety specifically is a perfect candidate for beta blocker treatment, even short term, early parts of exposure... Allowing one to still function, while experiencing the anxiety/stressor.

iconte

I need help with a warmup routine to get my hands and mind relaxed. I am a nervous person in general and when I start playing with others it takes time for me to get comfortable. I don't have a warm up routine and I gotta believe that is a factor that makes things worse. Particularly because if I make a mistake early it becomes a cascading effect...I get tight, my insides are out of wack, my mind goes blank, I start sweating, all that. It's like I need to run a mile or two before practice to get calm. How can I translate that to a warmup routine? Suggestions appreciated!
I hear you because i was a little like you. When i was in conservatory they taught some breath and yoga technique which after years i realize they really help your mind to be relaxed. More than a hand warmup i'd suggest to find a good yoga teacher, that will help you not only in playing the guitar but even in your life which is more important that playing. For the mechanical aspect, everything work, arpeggios, scale, a study and so on but if the mind is not free and you don't know how to release the tension it's just a cat chasing his tail, you get more nervous because you are not playing at your best. I really had your same problem, get a yoga teacher in my opinion. Good luck!

ivers

When i was in conservatory they taught some breath and yoga technique which after years i realize they really help your mind to be relaxed.
It works!

When I asked my MD if I could get some advice for help with breathing, he basically just denied that breathing could be relevant. Then he told me I should talk myself out of it through therapy, as if that hadn't been tried. He did suggest beta blockers though. Beta blockers without even wanting to try breathing!

So I basically just ignored everything the dumb MF had to say and went my own way with breathing stuff. One of the best desicions of my life for sure.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom