Shameless Plug: Guitar Rig 2 Power now shipping!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Orren, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Orren

Orren Member

If you'll forgive the brief plug, my latest book, Guitar Rig 2 Power! is currently shipping. If its not in your local Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. it is certainly available from Amazon.com, other online booksellers, and direct from Course Technology (the publisher).

Guitar Rig 2 tries to be as intuitive as possible, but like many such programs, it goes very deep--and the manual is very much a reference text, not a guidebook. So my book attempts to fill the space the manual doesn't, offering more depth and detail as to what the models do, how you can use them, tutorials in building your own rigs from simple rigs to complex, self modulating and sequenced rigs, for both guitar and bass.

I also have entire chapters on how you can integrate Guitar Rig 2 into your existing live or studio guitar setup, including diagrams and illustrations of how to use it for reamping, live effects, and all sorts of things.

Anyway, if you own GR2 and/or are interested in how you can get into GR2 and make GR2 work in your existing setup, this book can help.

Thanks!

Orren

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I am a fairly proficient user of GR2, but I'm going to pick up this book anyway! Too cool!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

lol,

literally just picked up one on ebay. cant wait, and yea, i'll definitely check out your book.

but funny, this afternoon, i was JUST looking at the "Reason" DVD that your company offers as well!

any plans for a "GR2" DVD?

4. Orren

Orren Member

Thanks for the support! :)

Currently, there aren't plans for a CD/DVD tutorial. My book is the first Guitar Rig 2 product, and before they start allocating resources for more of them, they have to see how this one sells. If my book does really well, there could very well be a CD or DVD. If my book tanks, they probably won't be very excited about more GR2 products, for obvious reasons. ;)

Orren

5. elambo

elambo Member

I'll check out the book. I didn't even open the GR manual because it's all kinda right in front of you and straight ahead, but I'm curious to know what your book adds to the dashboard of this program so I'll look through it if Borders has a copy.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i'll be sure to be three. :D

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

+1

from the demo i tried at a local studio/hifi shop, i was blown away at how quickly i could dial up some crazy sounds. and yet, i didnt even touch the crazy parameter options. and from what people tell me, even the vids on NI's website only hint at what it can do. :eek:

hopefully, this new book will open that world up to me.

Orren, do you regularly gig w/ GR2? what's your "rig"?

8. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I have one of the Reason Power Book/DVD titles and it is excellent.
    What are some of the ways I could integrate Reason and GR2 together?
    The only recording program I seem to bond with is Ableton Live.

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Could you post some dumble and vintage fender type sounds from GR2?

10. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

Orren...picked up a copy of Guitar Rig 2 Power and GarageBand Ignite (mostly as a reference book) from a Borders in San Diego...I'm just getting familiar with Guitar Rig 2...thanks for sharing info about your books...I know they will help me to understand the capabilities of this powerful software.

11. Orren

Orren Member

As far as posting NI presets that are included in the application, no, I can't do that, sorry. That's expressly forbidden in the user agreement.

As for my own, I wouldn't actually know a dumble type sound, as I've never owned or been in the same room with a dumble amp AFAIK. I'm sure I've heard some recorded, but I don't remember them, or know them well enough to reproduce them.

My GR2 preset bank that I made to accompany the book should be uploaded to the publisher's page (see .sig) this week (everything takes time for a large corporation, even uploading a single 50k file!), and I believe there are some Fender Tweed derived presets I made. OTOH, if all you have is the demo, I think loading of banks is disabled, so it may not be of much use to you.

Take care,
    Orren

12. Orren

Orren Member

Thanks! :)

Orren

13. jzucker

I didn't ask you to post NI presets. I asked you to post some examples of rendered audio that demonstrate fender, dumble and tweed tones that are convincing.

BTW, I'm a fan of GR, not a naysayer...

14. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Orren,
    any help with my question? As a noob, I'm not sure of how all these things work together. If I was to guess, I would think I would have to use GR2 as a plug in to Ableton with Reason rewired into same. Any other examples of how to align these apps with each other is greatly appreciated.

15. Orren

Orren Member

As I said, I can't post dumble even if my life depended on it. I don't know dumble. I wouldn't even know if included presets sound close, since I don't know dumble.

Fender sounds I can see what I can do. :)

Orren

16. Orren

Orren Member

Unfortunately, the Standalone version of Guitar Rig 2 doesn't sync to Rewire itself, so you're basically right--you'd have to use it as a plug-in inside of a host application and Rewire Reason to the host.

You really don't need to "align" anything. The way Rewire works is you launch the host first, Reason second, and then the transports of the two applications are in sync.

Orren

17. jzucker

IMO, the two biggest deficiencies of Guitar Rig were the poor Plexi models and lack of a dumble model. That's where the Vox tonelab blows it away. Unfortunately, the vox's clean tones are awful. I've been telling NI for over a year to implement those missing tones but they have very poor customer response (even on their forums). They never reply back. They need to hire some PR folks...(Possibly you?!?) :)

18. jzucker

Also, I suggest you become familiar with the dumble tones as they are a fundamental part of the guitar tonal language.

19. Marcello

Marcello Member

Jack, with the twang reverb model and some tweaking you can get "close" to dumble tones. I'm still learning to use GR2, I don't rely too much on amp models. What i've found is that with a proper EQ, cab, mic, and boost pedals you can get all kind of tones, very different from the original amp model. Have you played with the expert mode knobs on the amps ?
    Of course it would be nice if they provide us with a dumble model right off the bat. Also from my experience, all dumble sims on the modelers i tried sucked bad. GR2 is a great product, i love it :)

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

ok,

i think its high time for a clips of all your GR2 models, guys... ;)