Shannon helios

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fieldsroyal, Sep 3, 2008.

1. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Hi TGP'ers
    I picked up #39/40 earlier this year on ebay - I'm really impressed with the sound of this pedal - does single notes/double-stops much better than it does chords IMO - i didn't understand what "note bloom" was until I played through this pedal.
    - Q for HELIOS owners (all 39 of you!) - I've heard this sounds similar to Eternity - is this the case?
    - tempted to buy an eternity to see what the fuss is! But if it really similar to the H i won't bother
    Regards.
    Royal

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Somewhat similar. They are both tubescreamers at their core. I had my white E at the same time I had the Helios and they sounded quite a bit different though. Definitely would not mistake one for the other.

3. anathema

anathema Member

Which was better?

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Depends on what you want in a pedal. I thought the Helios did low gain better but then again the white E is higher gain than typical. The Eternity was clearer to me where the Helios kinda still had that typical TS nasal thing going on.

5. fugot

fugot Member

hey now, i would say similar... yup, bloom is a great adjective for the helious. ts-808 comes to mind, (which is how i would describe the original shannon od). eternity's are not nearly as expensive as they were a few months ago, buy one cheap... a/b.. let us know....peace

6. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

I never played an E, nevertheless I think that the Helios is a little more in the zen/dumble territory than the E is.

What struck me most is the smoothness of the Helios. The upper registers are incredibly smooth, no harshness at all.

However, playin an Ethos and a zen, the Helios does not get much use in my setup. I'm thinkin about sellin it....on the other hand it's one of 40 worldwide...sounds like a keeper....

Bye,
    Lars