Shape down neck on LP trad?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kzin, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Kzin

Kzin Member

I have a lp trad Í have almost bonded with. The top is incredible. Tonewise its very thick and massive, the high strings sound massive as well.
    It has some tuning issues, but I figure that could be helped by fixing the nut.

The problem is the neck is a little too big for me. I usualy like bigger necks, I dig the neck on my 08 sg std, and the medium c on my suhr antiques. But this lp neck is just a little to much and it affects my ability to play it.

I´m considering having the neck made a little smaller, if it was like my sg´s neck I´d be super happy. The sg neck isnt small, just a tiny bit smaller then the lp. I´m also thinking about plecking in and put larger ss frets on it.

Anyway, would it be a bad idea to reshape the neck if I can find a skilled luthier?

2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Yes

3. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

It's yours to play
    Skilled luthier, yes!

4. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Why is it a bad idea? Have you - or someone - reshaped a neck on a good/great guitar, or is this just theory? THanks.

5. Kzin

Kzin Member

Care to elaborate?

6. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

An ill fitting neck is a deal breaker for me, so I'd say definitely address the issue rather than trying to like it. I did this recently with a Warmoth fatback...adding some minor taper and softening the shoulders. Fits like a glove now, 100% improvement.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Traditionals are, or were available with 50s and 60s necks. I would think modifying the neck would devalue the guitar significantly. You may be better selling it and picking up one with the 60s neck.

8. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

...because the guitar will be worth about half of what it is now if you're lucky and possibly unsellable if you're not. What if you still don't like it after it's reshaped? Les Pauls are a dime a dozen. Find one you like and spare yours from mutilation.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

sell it.

get a guitar that works.

10. Kzin

Kzin Member

Mhh, I guess I´ll wont change if it will devalue it that much.
    I dont like the 60´s neck. Too skinny.

11. handtrix

handtrix Member

Yes. Jimmy Page.... to his '59... IDIOT !

12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Just for goofs, list your guitar for sale here and on Reverb but state that you have shaved the neck professionally and list the new dimensions. See what happens, then get back to me.

I mean it's your guitar, so do what you want. But then why ask the question? If you have doubts, don't do it. If you will think you keep the guitar forever, reshape the heck out of it.

EDIT: reducing the neck size could negatively impact the wonderful tonal qualities you describe as well. I mean it might not, but it could.

13. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

You should NOT remove any wood in the center portion of the neck. There isn't a lot of wood between the truss rod slot and the rear of the neck. I don't think most luthiers would do it because of the risk.
    What you can do is have a luthier shave the shoulders of the neck. This will take away some of the roundness and may fit your hand better. I had it done to a Les Paul with a 50's neck and it was much better for me and my hand size.
    Then you have to decide what to do about the finish. I had mine slightly tinted to look like the finish had worn off of the back of the neck naturally. You can also have the neck refinished completely, but it's going to cost you $.
    As far as value if you sell it down the road, it will have a negative impact. It will also make it harder to sell. But if you are going to keep it, who cares.

14. 49Strat

49Strat Member

I had this one reshaped..... why not have perfection.
    [​IMG]

15. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

The thought has crossed my mind numerous times with my 58RI. I guess I would be more inclined to keep the guitar forever if the neck suited me more. I never think of resale - if I can tweak something that makes it feel and play better, that to me is better than selling.

16. MatZen

MatZen Supporting Member

17. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

If you like everything about the guitar except for the neck shape, then by all means reshape it. Seems to me it would be much easier than finding another guitar that looks and sounds exactly like that one AND has the exact neck carve you like.

18. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

question; how long have you had the guitar? how much have you played it?