• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Share a musical accomplishment/milestone that you're particularly proud of

Dave Shoop

Mine might be more of an experience than an accomplishment. Ive been very fortunate to have played to many large crowds but what meant the most to me was a show we did on NYE at the Akron Civic Theater.

In 1975 I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band for the first time at the Akron Civic. My musical world changed that night. Close to 40 years later I got to perform his music on the very stage and sing many of the songs they did that night. It seemed surreal to me.

You have a great picking technique @Doctor of Rock and Roll - any tips on how you worked on your picking?
Thanks alot MrMoose. It's mostly alternate picking but I also do partial rakes and try to use the philosophy of 'path of least resistance' ideals so if there is say an arpeggio shape, instead of alternate picking every note I'll just use one down stroke. I also don't move my arm that much it all is in economy of motion, the pick is heavy and held with index and thumb,but kind of pinched rather than tradition method, those two digits are doing all the work really.

TheMindful

-Graduating Berklee College of Music
-Keeping my project going almost 3 years, handling bringing in/letting go of members and keeping us strong
-Recording my first album of originals (since my teenage band), which is in mixing phase now
-Being able to feed myself and be a musician

Other cool stuff:
-Doing session work on an album that charted top 10 in blues on Billboard
-opening for psychedelic Tokyo band, Kikagaku Moyo, on their national tour at an awesome theater

Last edited:

shadowbox

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not talking about seeing The Grateful Dead in '67. I mean something that you've personally done. It could be something as small as learning a particular scale, or playing on stage with one of your heroes.

I can think of a few myself, but the two that come to mind are as follows:

I've always loved the solo to White Lion's Wait. I was probably 13 years old when I first heard it, and thought to myself "I'll never be able to play that". 30 years later, I decided to learn it, and found out that it wasn't as unattainable as I had anticipated.

Another is that I wrote a song that was slated to appear in a blockbuster movie trailer a few years ago. It didn't work out, but the cool part was that through a series of weird connections I ended up having the bass player from Fishbone and members of P.O.D. playing on it. Considering I wrote it my little music room in one night, I was pretty happy.

What about you?
I got my music theory together. Finally.

eldorado2001

Silver Supporting Member
A couple of minor high points were my garage band winning the Battle of the Bands at my high school when I was a junior, then much later the band I was in was voted best local rock band or best blues band in town for 6 consecutive years, until we disbanded.

mvd18969

So last Fall, i joined a rock cover band after doing a 5 year stint in various wedding/corporate event bands. In other words.......not much soloing going on during that time and my chops definitely showed it. The rock cover band I'm in has a great KB player as well which really opens up the song catalog. A recent song that we learned that I put a TON of time into was Autographs's "Turn up the radio". I do the lead vocal on this one as well so I always grin when its time to play it.

JiveJust

First some perspective about where I came from:
I come from Northern Utah, in a town of about 85 people, there was nothing but a few stops signs in our little town. My teachers in elementary told me that I only needed to learn how to subtract because my dad was a farmer and we'd only ever be poor.

I always was making up my own riffs and songs when I was a kid. I learned how to play guitar from my aunt and how to sing from the radio. I was always messing around with drums and bass too. I wrote down a very detailed plan in my notebook to someday make an album of my own music. That way, when I was 40 years old, working at the steel mill, I could sneak away from my wife and kids and listen to my own music in my headphones and dream of what could have been.

It took 5 years and way too much money but I self-produced my first CD. I had accomplished something and it wasn't too bad. I had a great band playing my songs which, I had written, composed and arranged all the instruments. I never had to play any top 40 songs at my shows and we had a rapid following. At our peak we did 70-80 shows a year while I was holding down a full time job in a welding shop. Then everything imploded, so I left Utah.

I had another plan in my notebook. I wanted to do a REAL album, on analog tape with some old jazz guys that could really play my music.

I moved to Austin TX, and after three years I made an album on analog tape with old jazz guys playing my original songs with Stephen Doster producing it. I did a half-a$$ed tour to the west coast and back and even shared the stage with Eric McFadden on his own turf in San Francisco. One of my songs made it into an independent movie. Nothing fancy but I was able to send copies of the DVD to my parents.When they saw my name in the credits they flipped out. I liked my first album but I LOVE my second album. When I play songs from it to people they flip out and don't believe it's me until I show them the pictures on the fold out or sing along to the words. It would have been great to have promoted it effectively but my main goal I achieved. I made ONE great album that I honestly wouldn't change a thing on.

Now, I have several things I'm doing musically. I just need to figure out which one is worthy of my next goal: a vinyl album, an effective promotion and a tour in Europe.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Two:

I wrote an original song for my wife and played it to a packed bar that was expecting another bro-country tune. Stares and groans when I started. Got a standing O when I finished. (and a nice late night with the W...)

I met Bono at a Caribbean resort and spent a couple of hours chatting about everything but music. As we (the W and I) were taking our leave, he asked my wife what her favorite U2 song was - she said "All I Want is You" and he handed me a guitar and said "You know it?" and I did. He said I sounded "lovely" after he sang it to my wife. Pretty sure he was being charitable - my hands visibly shook throughout the song and I missed a change or two lol

Despite the conventional wisdom of his ego being enormous, we found him to be a nice fellow.
That's awesome!

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
I got to play and record with Ike and Tina Turner when I was very young for around a year. Terrifying but one heck of a musical bootcamp. In Ike’s defense he was patient and kind with me in spite of all you hear about that scene. A mentor who taught me to bring it real.

Silver

Early/mid 90s, there was a tape circulating around my group of friends that everyone loved. Turns out eventually that whoever initially copied it completely misspelled the guys name on the label, so no wonder we could never track it down to buy properly.

What must be 15 years later, I randomly find the guy on Myspace, realize who it is and see that he's selling CDs of the tracks on that same, by now, long lost tape. I message him to buy a copy, and briefly explain the above tale about the misspelling and the tape. He checks out the stuff on my profile first, really likes it, and says he'll swap me each of his for a copy of one of mine. Not that I had any, but quickly made one up! Also that he has his own local radio show and he'd like to make me the featured artist for that week.

Great score, and pure serendipity.

StuRdesign

As I have posted previously but never tire of saying. :D
I tried out Lemmy's twin signature Marshall stacks before even Lemmy himself did. It was at Marshall where they have a mini theatre where artists try out new gear. The amps were being shipped out to catch a Motorhead tour in Germany the next day.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom