Share your Empress Tape Delay settings here!

jcat5503

Just got one.. I'm wondering if anyone has some settings that they really like and want to share!?

Cheers

IRG

Silver Supporting Member
I set it to tap, then I select the Old>HP filter>Lots of modulation. Set the mix around noon, a bit higher, or a bit lower, depends what I'm after. Level right around noon, and the number of repeats around noon. Or I have less repeats maybe around 10 o'clock if I just want a few repeats. And sometimes if I want it soup, set the feedback around 2-3 o'clock, just before oscillation that can occur.

That's my basic "sound" form this pedal.

To change things up, I do almost the reverse: tap>New>No filter>No modulation. THis will give me a much brighter, attack, better for things like slap back and what not. I love this delay though. Versatile enough, but not overwhelming with choices, just right. Sits in the mix lovely too.

thecomposinator

Silver Supporting Member
I basically run mine the same. One of the things I am always juggling is the wet/dry mix. I set the mix to like 2 or 3 which lowers the dry signal, but will turn the output up to compensate. Even with less extreme mix settings I almost always set the output at 1 because at noon when I turn it on it is a little quieter than when it's bypassed.

I set it to tap, then I select the Old>HP filter>Lots of modulation. Set the mix around noon, a bit higher, or a bit lower, depends what I'm after. Level right around noon, and the number of repeats around noon. Or I have less repeats maybe around 10 o'clock if I just want a few repeats. And sometimes if I want it soup, set the feedback around 2-3 o'clock, just before oscillation that can occur. That's my basic "sound" form this pedal. To change things up, I do almost the reverse: tap>New>No filter>No modulation. THis will give me a much brighter, attack, better for things like slap back and what not. I love this delay though. Versatile enough, but not overwhelming with choices, just right. Sits in the mix lovely too.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the song, but usually toggles are vintage(tape), triplets or 1:1, LP (filter), and little (modulation). I keep it on tap tempo.

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
I bet most folks keep it on tap tempo, can't think of a reason not to....

teefus

i use mine on 3 preset mode. new or old tape depending on my mood. usually no or little modulation. no filtering. what a great sounding delay.

DStout

I'm thinking of picking up a Tape delay and have a question (and don't have facebook or google+).

Can you switch between tap and preset mode without powering off the pedal? I would like to use the presets most of the time and change over to tap for certain songs. Thanks.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
Can you switch between tap and preset mode without powering off the pedal? I would like to use the presets most of the time and change over to tap for certain songs. Thanks.
NO. But it's a three second chore, if that helps.

myaudiodna

Silver Supporting Member
I recently acquired one of these and I absolutely love it! So I thought I'd revive this thread to see if anyone else would like to share their settings.

Also, in regard to the last question asked in the thread, you actually can switch between preset and tap modes without powering off the pedal. When in preset mode, just switch the delay time toggle to tap and you will be in tap mode :) Just be aware that when you do switch to tap mode that the settings will be set to the physical position of the knobs, not the settings of the last preset you were on.

I run mine in 3 preset mode, then switch the delay time toggle to tap for my tap mode. Here are my settings:

Solo
Tape Age: Vintage
Delay Time: Slow
Filter: LP
Modulation: None
Mix: 10 O'Clock
D Time|Ratio: 1 O'Clock
Output: 12 O'Clock

Slapback
Delay Time: Fast
Filter: None
D Time|Ratio: 10 O'Clock

Pad
Delay Time: Slow
Filter: LP
Modulation: A Lot
D Time/Ratio: 10 O'Clock

Tap
Tape Age: New
Delay Time: Tap
Filter: HP
Mix: 2 O'Clock
D Time/Ratio: 2:3

Whereishumhum

Mix: 10 o'clock
Feed: 11 o'clock
Output: 1 o'clock

Tape age: vintage/old
Tap mode, ratio depends on what I play
Filter: Hp
Mod: Little

DStout

I asked Empress about switching between tempo and preset mode. This is their answer:

"You don't have to cycle the power. You just have to change the "delay time" switch from "tap tempo" to "slow" or "fast". In "slow" or "fast", you can use presets. In tap tempo mode, you can't."

Trending Topics

Top Bottom