Share Your ES335

maplebaby

I hope that beautiful guitar gives you nothing but great memories of your friend. What a beautiful gesture from his family.

Mine came from the same blowout sale -- it's a 58RI that I can't see ever parting with. It's been my "jazz" guitar (as in, it has flats on it) for the last few years.

View attachment 483954 View attachment 483953
love the blonde! Enjoy, what a killer guitar to get to play.

Amargosa

My early 2020 satin 335. It was my lifelong dream guitar. It took me a year to pay off the credit card with my allowance. It records amazingly well in my home studio. But being as it is my most expensive guitar, I rarely take it to church to play. It could have an accident.

I love the fat neck and the clarity of the pickups. The case feels like it weighs more than the guitar! Here it is on the right, along with my 2016 Gibson ES-339 and 2012 Gibson Midtown Standard.

fleW7Qg.jpg

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Here is my ES335 - it's the second one I owned since I can only claim temporary insanity for selling off the first 335 I had. I found this one used, at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan in 2004. It's an '02 Nashville built guitar. The only change I made to it is a set of Peter Florence '59 Humbuckers that were suggested to me by a NYC studio guitarist as a very accurate set of PAF voiced pickups - he was so very right. The neck is not huge at all, about half way between a '59 big neck and a 60's slim taper - it's just a great playing/sounding ES335 - this one's not going anywhere.
kUs1jGn.jpg

maplebaby

My early 2020 satin 335. It was my lifelong dream guitar. It took me a year to pay off the credit card with my allowance. It records amazingly well in my home studio. But being as it is my most expensive guitar, I rarely take it to church to play. It could have an accident.

I love the fat neck and the clarity of the pickups. The case feels like it weighs more than the guitar! Here it is on the right, along with my 2016 Gibson ES-339 and 2012 Gibson Midtown Standard.

fleW7Qg.jpg
very nice!

maplebaby

Here is my ES335 - it's the second one I owned since I can only claim temporary insanity for selling off the first 335 I had. I found this one used, at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan in 2004. It's an '02 Nashville built guitar. The only change I made to it is a set of Peter Florence '59 Humbuckers that were suggested to me by a NYC studio guitarist as a very accurate set of PAF voiced pickups - he was so very right. The neck is not huge at all, about half way between a '59 big neck and a 60's slim taper - it's just a great playing/sounding ES335 - this one's not going anywhere.
kUs1jGn.jpg

beautiful ES, i love flame tops! Glad you found 'the one' the bust is sweet, enjoy!

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
335s are about my favourite things on the planet (aside from a few humans and animals, I guess) and I've built up a little family of them over the last 25 years.

My '79 ES355, my first proper guitar bought when I was 18 in the mid 90s when brown 70s Gibsons were bottom of the secondhand barrel and were affordable even to 18 year old indie musicians. I've played hundreds of gigs and recording sessions with this guitar and it's still my most played, simply a great guitar.

Then the other 355, a '65 that I bought to mark my 40th. I'm a huge fan of Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr hence liking 355s in the first place and I always wanted the cherry red stereo Bigsby version for that reason. It's a nice guitar, and I use it a fair bit for recording, it's a bit more classic rock sounding than the brown one which works better for indie/alt stuff.

I have an actual 335 as well, a '66 I bought mainly for the great deal and the flamey top but it turned out to be a killer example. It's airier and more dynamic than either of the 355s, so a really nice contrast and it looks incredible as well with the faded cherry burst and random bits of figure that pop out at different angles.

Lastly the relatives. I bought the copper '65 330 about fifteen years ago to use for gigs in place of the brown 355 - it was originally a bit rough looking with a previous refinish and I had it restored to how it looks today. I have shoulder problems these days after a bike accident so a 6lb 330 is an ideal guitar for playing out. I picked up the sunburst '69 because I wanted a long neck 330 to go with it for better high fret access, then the other guitar is a very rare '69 Crest which was an upmarket 330 variant made from Brazilian rosewood. I always wanted one of these - as a kind of hybrid of my favourite 355 and 330 models it seemed like the perfect guitar - and it's very cool, a really unique sounding guitar that's a bit of a mix of Gibson and Filtertron Gretsch sounds that's great for Americana/alt country type music.

maplebaby

335s are about my favourite things on the planet (aside from a few humans and animals, I guess) and I've built up a little family of them over the last 25 years.

My '79 ES355, my first proper guitar bought when I was 18 in the mid 90s when brown 70s Gibsons were bottom of the secondhand barrel and were affordable even to 18 year old indie musicians. I've played hundreds of gigs and recording sessions with this guitar and it's still my most played, simply a great guitar.

Then the other 355, a '65 that I bought to mark my 40th. I'm a huge fan of Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr hence liking 355s in the first place and I always wanted the cherry red stereo Bigsby version for that reason. It's a nice guitar, and I use it a fair bit for recording, it's a bit more classic rock sounding than the brown one which works better for indie/alt stuff.

I have an actual 335 as well, a '66 I bought mainly for the great deal and the flamey top but it turned out to be a killer example. It's airier and more dynamic than either of the 355s, so a really nice contrast and it looks incredible as well with the faded cherry burst and random bits of figure that pop out at different angles.

Lastly the relatives. I bought the copper '65 330 about fifteen years ago to use for gigs in place of the brown 355 - it was originally a bit rough looking with a previous refinish and I had it restored to how it looks today. I have shoulder problems these days after a bike accident so a 6lb 330 is an ideal guitar for playing out. I picked up the sunburst '69 because I wanted a long neck 330 to go with it for better high fret access, then the other guitar is a very rare '69 Crest which was an upmarket 330 variant made from Brazilian rosewood. I always wanted one of these - as a kind of hybrid of my favourite 355 and 330 models it seemed like the perfect guitar - and it's very cool, a really unique sounding guitar that's a bit of a mix of Gibson and Filtertron Gretsch sounds that's great for Americana/alt country type music.

Beautiful guitars and beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

mjross

Silver Supporting Member
So very sorry to hear of your friends passing! That‘s a very nice 335 and I’m sure you will keep it forever. May you Rock On Sir!

Here‘s a few of my 335’s!

Figured Turquoise, 70’s Walnut, Hand Select “63” Reissue Figured

1642622722439.jpeg

Here‘s another “63” Reissue that I’m very fond of

1642623150390.jpeg

This is one of the most stunning 335‘s I’ve seen. Photos do it NO JUSTICE!

1642623257189.jpeg

I’ll toss this into the mix! It’s a 355 but reminds me a lot of my 335 “63” reissues with its MHS pickups.

1642623686941.jpeg

Oh yeah, if you dig 335’s check out one of these, might surprise you! BB King Lucille…

1642694742888.jpeg

Say hello to my little friend! 339 Custom Shop Fat Neck, flanked by a couple of his friends.

1642809710556.jpeg

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom