Share Your ES335

Fireball XL5

Gold Supporting Member
Bought this Blonde ES-335 Dot Reissue brand new in 1995 for a great price during a blow out sale at a local mom & pop Gibson dealer. It's the oldest guitar in my collection. I've kept it completely stock with the exception of a much needed refret several years back with Jescar 57110 stainless steel frets. Plays like butter with super low action. Over the years I've considered picking up a Custom Shop Historic ES-335 ($$$), but this one plays and sounds so good I really can't justify it.

4Ans6iI.jpg

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
I’m really sorry to hear about your friend. That’s nice you get to care for his 335 .

Here’s my ‘60 50th anniversary

I’m pretty sure I’ll be keeping it forever. It’s just got something going on with it that I really dig.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
Is that a blonde bassman I see in the background? Great combo.

Yes - it’s a blonde Bassman in that it’s from a run of Reissue Ltds. in the blonde get-up, with the p10r-F speakers, which to my ears are somewhat warmer and less loud than the normal p10r speakers that come stock on the tweed Ltds. I’m a sucker for non-standard Fender cosmetics (especially tuxedo brown-black era amps, brush painted or recovered tweeds), and this one just sounds “right” to me with the 335. Not sure if I’ve ever seen a real vintage 5f6a in blonde/pink/brown tolex.

romiso

Gold Supporting Member

For a while, one of my biggest gear purchase regrets was not getting a Rusty Anderson model when it came out -- they're amazing guitars that ticked off every box on my "list" and, when new, didn't cost an arm and a leg (maybe just an arm).

I recovered nicely with my 58RI (pictured earlier in this thread), but wow I love those Rusty Andersons!

maplebaby

I’m really sorry to hear about your friend. That’s nice you get to care for his 335 .

Here’s my ‘60 50th anniversary

I’m pretty sure I’ll be keeping it forever. It’s just got something going on with it that I really dig.

Thank you. It’s great to hear you like it - I can see why!

maplebaby

Bought this Blonde ES-335 Dot Reissue brand new in 1995 for a great price during a blow out sale at a local mom & pop Gibson dealer. It's the oldest guitar in my collection. I've kept it completely stock with the exception of a much needed refret several years back with Jescar 57110 stainless steel frets. Plays like butter with super low action. Over the years I've considered picking up a Custom Shop Historic ES-335 ($$$), but this one plays and sounds so good I really can't justify it.

4Ans6iI.jpg

I call this one pretty much perfect!

maplebaby

So very sorry to hear of your friends passing! That‘s a very nice 335 and I’m sure you will keep it forever. May you Rock On Sir!

Here‘s a few of my 335’s!

Figured Turquoise, 70’s Walnut, Hand Select “63” Reissue

View attachment 484140

Here‘s another “63” Reissue that I’m very fond of

View attachment 484145

This is one of the most stunning 335‘s I’ve seen. Photos do it NO JUSTICE!

View attachment 484148

I’ll toss this into the mix! It’s a 355 but reminds me a lot of my 335 “63” reissues with its MHS pickups.

View attachment 484151

I bow down to you as king 335! Beautiful, hard to pick a fave!

edgewound

Here's my only ES-335. It's a great value, but the neck is a bit chunkier than I like.

I could be convinced to part with it. I have a video somewhere of me hacking through Europa with it. Might be too embarrassing to post. Even more than my other videos I've posted...I know...Hard to believe.

1642638104995.png

1642638620449.png

Here's my clam-filled rendition of "Europa" with this Epiphone Studio Dot ES-335, made in China. She was a pawn shop rescue, China Girl, hanging on a wall for 5 years of a bankrupt pawn dealer in Fontana, CA. I think her previous home was a meth lab, judging by the corroded strings and frets. Judicious application of Old English Lemon Oil with a terry cloth towel on the body, and a green Scotch Brite pad on the fretboard followed by a new set of D'Addario XL 10-46 strings really brought her to life. The gold dots on the fretboard are courtesy of Sharpie, since worn away. I don't understand the "Studio Dot" nomenclature since there are no dots on the fretboard? Whatever. It's a respectable player, for sure.

Last edited:

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
When I purchased my 335, it made me feel like I had finally arrived, but I was scared to play it The tone was phenomenal at every setting, but the neck always got sticky, which made me play it less. About 6 months of this and I finally committed to playing it daily and within a week the neck became super smooth. There is a clarity to the ES’ tone that I did not expect from a semi hollow, but I love plying it now.
9D285CF7-CE6A-402E-8485-5F351B58C26F.jpeg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom