Share your experience with speakers in a super reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lespaulnmarshall, Apr 9, 2015.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi everyone,
    I am currently experimenting with speakers in my 1965 BF super reverb again.
    That is why I am curious about everyone's experiences with different speakers in super reverbs. So please let me know what your experiences are and what year/kind of super reverb you play.

I currently have 2 alnico golds on top and two WGS G10C's on the bottom of my super. I like this combo but I am curious what other speakers might sound like.
    I used to have 4 Jensen RI C10R's and then 2 C10r's and 2 P10Q's in it in the past. With the RI Jensens my amp was quite thin and just lacking in tone.
    Other mods I have done to my amp: Pulled V1, Switchable vibrato which is always off.
    Thanks!

2. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

I have a '65 with Pyle Drivers in it (ala Derek Trucks). Good range with a full and tight bottom end. I also like Celestion Vintage 10's in there.

3. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Sweet!
    Any opinions on the weber 10F150 25w and 10A125 (30w) Perhaps?
    Or WGS Vet 10's?

4. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

I love the story of how Pyle Drivers ended up in Trucks's Super Reverb. Good stuff.

5. wetordry

wetordry Member

I have 4 Jensen Electric Lightnings in an ultra-linear '81 which is tons diff from your amp, but a 4x10 Fender tone regardless.
    Clean is Fender clean, nice and round lows with a ton of headroom. Sounds perfect at any volume but trying to make it break up would be hazardous.
    Running some kind of MIAB box in front of it is golden for a thick dark vintage tone hybrid that shines somewhere around Billy G/Trower. Marshall flavor but keeps that big Fender roundness/clarity.
    I like the speakers.

6. mxvin

mxvin Member

my 1965 SR came with original CTS ceramics and replaced with CTS alnicos.
    Never needed to try any other speakers. They do it all IMO. I play classic rock with Strats. My buddy loves it and plays all types of guitars through it.

7. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

My 65 still has the original CTS ceramics and I actually prefer them to the more popular alnico CTS's for what I play. When I had a SRRI, my favorite combination was 1 10A100(T?) 2 10A125s and 1 10F150.

8. mxvin

mxvin Member

the ceramics were good but my ears, even in my other amps, just prefer alnico.

9. guller

guller Member

67 here. I have the original CTS alnicos which were just reconed last year. They have always sounded fantastic until the end there before the recone where they were farting out pretty badly. They are good as new now. They are currently installed in the combo.

While they were being reconed I bought two Weber 10F150's and paired them with an old set of Fender Eminence blue frame alnicos that I had laying around from the early 90's. That combo also sounded great, a little tighter in the bass.

I had Weber build a speaker cab for the spare speakers, so now I switch it up depending on mood and tune.

10. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Where did you have them reconed, and how much did it cost? I have some tired ones.

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I had brown labeled ceramics in mine. Maybe oxfords? I've never liked alnico speakers...

12. guller

guller Member

I had Weber do them for $65 each plus shipping. I used light dope and had them break them in.

13. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Lots of CTS love I notice!
    I really want to try them, too bad they are pretty hard to find

14. flywheel

flywheel Member

CTS seem to work so well in sr that I have never had a need.
    I would like to try a equivalent ceramic of same era ,
    hummm .....:clips

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  15. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Has anyone tried the Weber DT-10's in their SR's?

16. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I have a set of old C10Q Jensens from 66 in my 67 SR and they sound fantastic

17. OilsFan

OilsFan Member

I switched my CTS Alnicos out for some WGS Vet 10's a few months ago. I have no interest in checking anything else out. To my mind and ears the Vet 10's are pretty much a direct replacement for the CTS with just a bit mellower (better) high end and generally more focused sounding. They sound really good and do what I need them to. Blackfaced 73 Super Reverb. A video of my install...

18. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

I have a 73 and I took out the original speakers and put in Legend 1058's. They sound great! Have them in my Vibrolux as well (CVR that is). Good price on those too.

19. mxvin

mxvin Member

your best bet is to find a quad that is shot and have them reconed. I had mine done by Weber with light dope. They needed a bit of breaking in, which is normal, but they rock and will not be disappointed.

20. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I think those Webers are too much for a quad. I have tried 2 weber 10f150/10F150T's in a 66 SR along with two others. Too much low end. and heavy as a brick. A Super has great low end even with cheap light speakers.
    Personally I like the Ceramic CTS, Alnico CTS and even Oxfords in a Super.
    I tried some other speakers, one of the best sets was Weber CVC 10's. They were cheap little paper Voice Coil speakers when they first came out. Too expensive now but I really liked them.
    I eventually bought a set of CTS Alnicos ($12 each)that needed reconing and had Orange County speaker do them. Fast and perfect right out of the box. OC does them right ....just like the originals. They turned a set of 4 around in about 1.5 weeks Including shipping time!