Share Your Favorite Boss Bf-2 Settings!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sonichronic, Jan 5, 2020.

1. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

yep!
    Gives it a nice sorta “vocal” quality.
    It’s subtle, but a very cool effect.

+NRG likes this.
  2. +NRG

+NRG Member

Always loved his playing and wondered for many years how he got that sound!

3. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

One thing I’ve done with the BF-2 that I just love is to run it on one side of a stereo effects chain. The BF-2 does not invert the phase or polarity of the signal like many of these effects types do and thus can be run on one side of a stereo amp rig for a more subtle and wide chorus/flange.

It’s one of the best chorus sounds I’ve ever had and very stereo feeling but in that old JC120 one speaker modulating kind of way. This is something I cannot do with an electric mistress which is great for its thing but the BF-2 has no problem being on one side of a stereo rig and provides a killer analog and wide chorus sound.

Manual 9 o’clock
    Depth 11 o’clock
    Rate 12-1 o’clock
    Res off or just barely up

Snufkinoob likes this.
  4. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

BF-2 also is killer in a bass rig.

5. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

Just picked one of these up (again) and have been re-reading this thread by Tootone : https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/flangers-de-mystified.1887257/
    Super-useful info there. I find Flangers to be the most complicated type of pedal at first blush and found that thread an education. Best way to think about it is set everything low, match rate to your tempo.

My go-to setting is:
    MAN: 11 o'clock
    DEPTH: 11 o'clock
    RATE: match tempo (usually about 3 o'clock)
    RES: off-9 o'clock

I think I'll try the blend control mod and maybe see if I can trim the overall volume down a touch to unity.

Weirdly, I was recently reading about how Robin Guthrie had a BF-2 that oscillated due to being incorrectly calibrated, and that he liked the feature so much that he left it be. Then I find that the one that I've picked up does this too! Not really useful for me but a quirky feature to have in conjunction with a delay.

6. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Love the BF-2! This setting creates an amazing sound I'll call the 'comb-filter-chorus-flange'. With some fuzz or any other dirt pedal with a lot of harmonics, the sweep almost cancels itself out at one point. You can dial in the 'depth' carefully control to fine tune this aspect.

Manual : OFF
    Depth : 9 o'clock or ever so slightly lower
    Speed : 1/1:30
    Res : OFF

7. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member