Share your I-lock experiences

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by flatfinger, Jun 15, 2006.

1. elambo

elambo Member

Yes, there are problems all over the place. I don't personally know anyone who hasn't had some sort of issue, small or large. I've had large issues and there was no hint of customer service when needed.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yes, you do.

I've had no issues whatsoever. My "experience" is only one: I take it from computer to computer and it works each time. It has since the day I got it.

3. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    I own one with many licences on it one for backup if the first goes down. Pay $30/year for the zero downtime coverage (cheap insurance).
    No problems.

4. Orren

Orren Member

Exactly the same here. I've never had a moment's problem with my iLok.

Orren

5. elambo

elambo Member

No doubt there are people without any issues.

Most people use their iLoks only to download authorizations, and that's it. Not a risky situation for any hardware/software. The problems I've come across, and heard about plenty, have been with the company itself - i.e. if technical support is needed due to authorizations that have to be managed, or incorrect account information, or info that needs to be migrated among iLoks, etc. They're notoriously difficult to get ahold of, and some simple computerized maintenance requests require a fee to complete. And don't EVER lose you authorizations, unless you've paid for their backup plan, which is nothing short of horsesh!t (authorizations are known and kept in their database and attached to the SN# of your iLok. If the iLok goes down, it's no difficult task to reassociate them with the same iLok, if repaired, or another one if necessary). I understand the appeal iLok has to software authors, but at times it asks a lot of software users.

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Best to write down those authorization codes because they often charge a fee to issue another, which I agree, is horse crap.