• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Share your ideas for new modelers/new technology you'd like to see

DS007

I'll start with my idea for an all in one workstation based on existing Line 6/Yamaha technology. I might be the only one who would love to have an all in one hardware based solution, but I think it'd be awesome to come home, turn on the Gemini (and only the Gemini) and start creating and recording songs from scratch!

Ryan x Decent

One thing that I think would be cool is if a modeler had vst integration. Say you have a favorite vst you use for recording, you's then be able to upload it to your modeler and use it live.

Also, and this is just me, I'd love if modelers came with convincing downtuning, so you could have your guitar in E standard, but drop it down to C or A or what not. Basically the Digitech Drop pedal but within a modeler.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
One thing that I think would be cool is if a modeler had vst integration. Say you have a favorite vst you use for recording, you's then be able to upload it to your modeler and use it live.

Also, and this is just me, I'd love if modelers came with convincing downtuning, so you could have your guitar in E standard, but drop it down to C or A or what not. Basically the Digitech Drop pedal but within a modeler.
You mean like Helix Native, Variax and Roland GK tech?

LaXu

I would actually like to go a lot in the other direction. Rather than making things more complex, I want them more simple.

The following is for a digital amp that is just that, a digital amp. Not a multifx box, not a rack unit, a digital amp you can connect to a real guitar cab or use a line out with IR cab sims for other devices. USB for recording and firmware updates. The whole point of a device like this is that it's easy to use but also an amp in its own right rather than just "some device that emulates other amps".
  1. Get rid of the amp model names. For you as the player, it is not relevant to know if Amp model X is a Marshall or not. Call them something generic like OD 1 or Clean 2. This takes out all the "it does not sound like real amp X" ******** from discussion.
  2. Skim the amount of amp models down to about 8-12. That is enough to cover 99% of tones any guitar player would need.
  3. Improve the EQ capabilities. Instead of the standard 3-band EQ, I want to see separate high and low mids knobs, I want to see several bright switch and bass cut options.
  4. Use LED rings around infinite rotaries to show what settings are used in the current preset. This allows a single set of controls to work well with presets. See Mooer Preamp Live for how this looks.
  5. Have a suitably beefy poweramp so volume is never an issue.
There is a huge gap in all digital amps once you get past the budget oriented Boss Katanas etc. The 5 years old Yamaha THR100 and the even older Kemper are pretty much the only higher end digital amp options on the market. Everything else is rack or floor multifx units like Axe-Fx or Helix and the complications that come from that.

I would go even further - no emulation in the UI (internally, yeah, sure, do whatever you like), all about tone shaping. I wouldn't even go with typical OD1, OD2, clean, etc. channels, just various options to sculpture your sound: rich eq, 2 or 3 customizable gain stages (I don't need to know what preamp or poweramp is and definitely don't need to know about stuff like "poweramp stage gain") and couple controls for more isoteric stuff as well, but not using terms coming directly from the tube amps technology like bias, sag or variac - use tightness, depth, brightness, etc.

make it loud enough for stage and quiet enough for home, with two separate channels, with ability to run them in parallel, and auto-adjust volume levels on the output, so that switching channels between dirty and clean won't result in volume jumps (it's 2020 for chrissake, there's tech for that!)

KenG

I'd like 10 band EQs to be graphical in the display, not 2 pages with 10 rotary knobs. I'd like a noise generator module available at the output to drive a powered frfr so I can read the frfr speaker output with an analyzer and adjust for speaker peaks or valleys on global settings, or a built in analyzer with graphical display at the output to show the spectrum being output from the preset to aid in adjusting the response vs trial and error. I'd like more options available on cab/mic modelling.

RolandKorg

Supporting Member
A Kemper Player/Module. Fits on a pedalboard—maybe like an Atomic Amplifire. A few footswitches, maybe with stereo reverb and Delay. With IRs, 10 band graphic EQ via software editor.

Separate/add-on power amp.

I just want the absolute best amp models/profiles, to use with my own pedalboard.

I’d also like to have a new/evolved type of IR. I think.... Something that really simulates the non-clinical, dirty realities of a loud amp in a room. Speaker cry(?), cabinet vibration(?), realistic speaker breakup(?).... I don’t know what I’m talking about... but there are characteristics of loud guitar that don’t seem to come through in a ‘pristine’ Impulse Response, no?

Quad4

Wondering if there will ever be a flexible digital interconnect that is standard on all devices (and there's one ADC and one DAC in your entire chain unless you want analog effects in your loop).

Not a huge benefit if your entire digital chain is one "box". Once you start having more than one box you're going from analog to digital to analog for each box. This increases the cost of each box, affects the tone, and adds to latency. This may not add up to something that matters to most people.

I know some devices have optical connections, but it's not common or standard where people are surprised, upset if a device does not have it.

Billinder33

The only thing I crave at this point is a digital patchbay, configurable from your computer via a USB connection. Instantly recallable configurations, no more patch cables.

There are some boutique makers that build these, at around $2k for a 32 point bay. I'm sure Behringer or Makie could mass produce these for $350-$500 a pop and sell them by the truckload.

DS007

I would actually like to go a lot in the other direction. Rather than making things more complex, I want them more simple.

The following is for a digital amp that is just that, a digital amp. Not a multifx box, not a rack unit, a digital amp you can connect to a real guitar cab or use a line out with IR cab sims for other devices. USB for recording and firmware updates. The whole point of a device like this is that it's easy to use but also an amp in its own right rather than just "some device that emulates other amps".
  1. Get rid of the amp model names. For you as the player, it is not relevant to know if Amp model X is a Marshall or not. Call them something generic like OD 1 or Clean 2. This takes out all the "it does not sound like real amp X" ******** from discussion.
  2. Skim the amount of amp models down to about 8-12. That is enough to cover 99% of tones any guitar player would need.
  3. Improve the EQ capabilities. Instead of the standard 3-band EQ, I want to see separate high and low mids knobs, I want to see several bright switch and bass cut options.
  4. Use LED rings around infinite rotaries to show what settings are used in the current preset. This allows a single set of controls to work well with presets. See Mooer Preamp Live for how this looks.
  5. Have a suitably beefy poweramp so volume is never an issue.
There is a huge gap in all digital amps once you get past the budget oriented Boss Katanas etc. The 5 years old Yamaha THR100 and the even older Kemper are pretty much the only higher end digital amp options on the market. Everything else is rack or floor multifx units like Axe-Fx or Helix and the complications that come from that.
This is a pretty interesting idea. Just a random take off of your thoughts....(and from the Line 6/Helix side since that is what I'm familiar with. I could imagine Line 6 releasing it's special non model specific amps in amp head form and doing really well with them...and doing just what you said, give them the capability to run into a guitar cab, or to run into an FRFR or recording device with a speaker emulated output/IR.
I can see the Litigator as one amp people would love to have as just a dedicated digital amplifier. No bundles of FX and no attempts at a bunch of add ons(those multi functional digital amps are already out there), maybe just a reverb like a classic amplifier.

Dan Desy

Silver Supporting Member
This is a pretty interesting idea. Just a random take off of your thoughts....(and from the Line 6/Helix side since that is what I'm familiar with. I could imagine Line 6 releasing it's special non model specific amps in amp head form and doing really well with them...and doing just what you said, give them the capability to run into a guitar cab, or to run into an FRFR or recording device with a speaker emulated output/IR.
I can see the Litigator as one amp people would love to have as just a dedicated digital amplifier. No bundles of FX and no attempts at a bunch of add ons(those multi functional digital amps are already out there), maybe just a reverb like a classic amplifier.
Well.... allow me to be the devil’s advocate.

For $1600 or so, you can get a thousand amps and a million effects (I might be rounding up). So what would one pay fir a stand-alone litigator model? $100? $200?

nah.

pcutt

- A UI device that is physical combined with computer graphics: actual physical knobs and switches with a display behind them. When the amp model is changed, the function of the knobs/switches changes as well as the legend describing each. Say there are 10 knobs and 10 switches in two rows. For a simple amp, only four knobs are used (B, M, T, Vol) and the other six are unused, and no switches are used. For a complicated amp, all ten knobs (Gain, B, M, T, Vol, Drive, Presence, Contour, etc.) and switches ( sparkle, chime, etc., etc.) are used. This UI device would be for controlling the amp, and separate from it but connected wirelessly. It could sit on my desk or on top of the amp.

- Ability to connect to a computer, tablet and phone for deep editing so I can edit on the device I happen to have on me at the moment in those odd slices of time that arise. Edits on any of these devices are synced with the others, this way I can think of this as editing a project with a device, rather than editing a device.

- For amps that where the actual physical circuit is modeled I'd like to see a schematic and have the ability to change parameters of any and all components. E.g. change a resistor from 4.7k Ω to 5.0k Ω.

- Ability to save a guitar signal, say a 20 second snippet of me playing, so I can "play once and tweak many times" with the exact same signal. Ability to do this for numerous snippets, say a dozen or two.

- Ability to have two amps models playing simultaneously with the ability to pan from one to the other with a foot pedal. E.g. Sweep from 100% Amp A and 0% Amp B, to 50% of each, then continue on to 0% Amp A and 100% Amp B. Can be used like a wah, back and forth as slow or fast as you want, or just set it for part of the song and change later in the song.

LolainNB

I’d like a universal pedalboard with an operating system that allows you to load Helix software, Fractal software, Headrush software. So yeah, a touchscreen would be a must. Just turn it on and launch a modeler software.

DS007

Well.... allow me to be the devil’s advocate.

For $1600 or so, you can get a thousand amps and a million effects (I might be rounding up). So what would one pay fir a stand-alone litigator model? $100? $200?

nah.
People still buy amps, so that value proposition only works for some. After all, I can get a Variax and get multiple guitars including acoustics....so why do people still buy guitars that are single guitars. Why buy a piano when you can get a plug in and key bed that will give you 100 different pianos. Same thing goes for any instrument these days.
Yes, they'd have to make the amplifiers designed and tweaked for a guitar cabinet as opposed to designed and tweaked to sound like a mic on a cabinet... but I for one would think if the minds behind these models put their ingenuity into a super awesome sounding digital amp, it'd be something to compete with the countless other amplifiers that people STILL buy.

Quad4

A UI device that is physical combined with computer graphics: actual physical knobs and switches with a display behind them. When the amp model is changed, the function of the knobs/switches changes as well as the legend describing each. Say there are 10 knobs and 10 switches in two rows. For a simple amp, only four knobs are used (B, M, T, Vol) and the other six are unused, and no switches are used. For a complicated amp, all ten knobs (Gain, B, M, T, Vol, Drive, Presence, Contour, etc.) and switches ( sparkle, chime, etc., etc.) are used. This UI device would be for controlling the amp, and separate from it but connected wirelessly. It could sit on my desk or on top of the amp.
This!!!!

• Modeler Controller Pad
  • Real knobs (switches too, but I like most of those on the floor)
  • Display/scribble strips that mirrors and extends knobs
  • Wireless and designed to be placed at "amp height" or on desk (or on the floor if you eyes and back are in good shape)
  • Connected to floor/rack unit wirelessly.
Starts with looking like an amp, but can be scrolled to provide control of other params (cab, effects, etc). And for those who love knobs on glass surfaces that you can't twist, also sell a virtual console on an iPad table.

Bonus points: Industry standard bluetooth midi config for modelers and controllers that enable the above (bi-directionally). I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore?

Quad4

- Ability to save a guitar signal, say a 20 second snippet of me playing, so I can "play once and tweak many times" with the exact same signal. Ability to do this for numerous snippets, say a dozen or two.
You mean a mini-looper? Some modelers have one built in.

Quad4

- Ability to connect to a computer, tablet and phone for deep editing so I can edit on the device I happen to have on me at the moment in those odd slices of time that arise. Edits on any of these devices are synced with the others, this way I can think of this as editing a project with a device, rather than editing a device.
It is really annoying to have to wait until you connect to your modeler to make edits. Easier sharing/loading and backups would be nice as well.

Mohamad Hanif

I wish for a unit that can adapt to whatever you're plugging it into "eq-wise". Kinda like the feature they have on the GT-1000 where you can select the output settings so the unit can optimize/compensate so that it would sound great everytime. I'm tired of having to create new presets everytime we play a different venue. Even worse when I don't know what backline the venue is providing.

LaXu

This!!!!

• Modeler Controller Pad
  • Real knobs (switches too, but I like most of those on the floor)
  • Display/scribble strips that mirrors and extends knobs
  • Wireless and designed to be placed at "amp height" or on desk (or on the floor if you eyes and back are in good shape)
  • Connected to floor/rack unit wirelessly.
Starts with looking like an amp, but can be scrolled to provide control of other params (cab, effects, etc). And for those who love knobs on glass surfaces that you can't twist, also sell a virtual console on an iPad table.

Bonus points: Industry standard bluetooth midi config for modelers and controllers that enable the above (bi-directionally). I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore?
I would buy a control pad for modelers or amps. The problem I have is that due to some health issues I can do nothing to fix, crouching down to tweak knobs on fx that are on the floor is not always very comfortable. Sure, I could go for a rack unit but those are limited by their form factor. I would love something like the Helix Floor but without the expression pedal and footswitches portion. The HX Stomp is too simplified version of that with not enough knobs.

I constantly see YouTubers settings the Helix Floor on a tilted stand on wheels so that it is easy to reach and while that works, it's hardly ideal.

Trending Topics