Share your interesting stories about scoring a "vintage" piece.

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by telelion, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

He didnt make any mention of wanting to acquire it back.
    -Years ago I said I would never sell another guitar (*always regretted it) but this one would be the exception. I would not however sell it for what I paid for it, if Rick wanted it he would have to pay what it would cost to replace it with another 59-60 Duo Sonic of similar condition. Its not unusual to see these sell in the $2000-3000 area.

~JH

DBBlues likes this.
  2. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't blame you for that. I wasn't trying to play the TGP Morality Patrol and tell you "you should've given it to him." It's cool that you'd let him buy it if he wanted to. It's a great looking guitar.

DBBlues likes this.
  3. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

picked up this '64 bad boy in '79 in a trade for a Siamese kitten....

telelion and DBBlues like this.
  4. Johnny Rockit

Johnny Rockit Gold Supporting Member

5. Johnny Rockit

Here's one I just picked up this past weekend. A friend calls me and says he met a guy wanting to sell a bunch of old pedals. My buddy lives about 250 miles away right on the Mexican border (scary place actually) so I am a bit reluctant to make the drive to look at a few pedals and tell him to get a list and some pics and give the guy my number. The fellow never called me but when my buddy called me a few days later and I said he had not called he said he was almost to his house and he would check why he did not call and send some pics himself. Needless to say after receiving an extensive list of very cool vintage pedals and the following pic I took the drive! I gave the Behringer, and a couple more low end pedals to my buddy and bought about 25 pedals that would make a preacher jealous from the old fellow. As I looked at the pic I noticed the 1980 Mini Chorus 460 which is a great little simple two button chorus, and the Crown Super Fuzz from 68 (Shin-Ei FY-6), but wait is that a 1981 Ibanez Tubescreamer Pro TS-808 in mint condition no less? Ever heard the story about finding the old guy with tons of vintage gear selling it off for cheap? Well it ain't happening cause I found him this weekend and bought most of it. Not only did I get some of the most awesome vintage pedals but made a great friend.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Musicmaster likes this.
  6. William Bohensky

William Bohensky Member

I love hearing these stories especially about Traders' Cove. That was my introduction to playing, buying, selling and trading guitars and amps almost 50 years ago. Newport RI was a big Navy town steeped in musical history. Traders' Cove was run by Mr. Tobak and his wife and everyone knew them and their family. They were top notch people and very gracious. I bought my first amp there, a Vox Essex Bass amp and Mr. Tobak bought it back from me for $75, the same price I paid him for it. I also bought my first good guitar there, a '65 SG. I traded this brown newer model SG with Melody Maker style pickups I got for $100 and $165 cash for it. His guitar guy thought mine was an old guitar but it wasn't. I remember two things I learned that day. When I forked over my dough I told Mr. Tobak that was all the money I had and he told me "everything will be alright". I also remember he had a a Les Paul hanging there with a $500 price tag on it. I said "500 dollars for that, it's all beat up!" He set me straight right there. "Son, that's the finest guitar made, a Gibson Les Paul". I remember that like it was yesterday. I thought my SG was an SG Junior but it wasn't. I took the pick guard off and the wood was cut out. The pickups were PAFs. They had the little patent applied for decals on them. So I guess it was an SG Special that someone modified. Off course I put speed knobs, Grovers and a Badass bridge on it eventually! Those were the days. I have done so many sweet deals that I can't even remember them all. There are also deals I have passed on that haunt me still. A few good ones I remember: A blonde Fender Bassman head and cabinet off a navy wife for $40. Needed some tubes. A 60s Hofner Beatle bass with original bag 70$ cash from a guy on the street on Maui. A '57 Tremolux for $75 dollars from a Swedish woman living in a teepee on Maui. Trading a used little tv for a '61 tweed Champ at a pawnshop after buying an old top of the line Silvertone hollow body electric with case for $65 earlier. A Hagstrom III & case and a tweed Gibson Explorer amp off a guy for $40. A '61 brown face Deluxe from the local dump! A '64 bf Princeton Reverb from the same dump as well as an early Martin Sigma from Japan, an Ampeg Stud, a '67 Harmony Rocket I with case, an original Big Muff an Small Stone as well as a couple others. Everything worked too! Oh! And a '74 LP Deluxe for $425. Too many to remember. They are still out there too!

DBBlues likes this.
  7. Johnny Rockit

Irving WAS a top notch guy! Funny how after all these years we still remember him with a smile. So William you might remember the old Electric Elephant and closing that place on Friday nights then heading over to Poor Richards for breakfast with Dee Snider. Newport was a gas back then. Moved out once I figured out I could not afford a house on Ocean Drive. :)

DBBlues likes this.
  8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

so many cool stories in this thread! i was a "picker" for many years, travelled the southeastern US with a pocket full of cash money looking for vintage guitars, effects, synths, and watches. I had lots of great buyers like Analog Mike, Rogue Music in NYC, Chris Youdell in LA, Rick Hogue at Garret Park Guitars, etc....I found LOTS of stuff over the years, but one of my faves is a synth story.

i hit all the pawnshops in south florida pretty regularly. there was a trashy little pawn shop in st pete FL, and I stopped in to look around. took me all of five minutes to check the place out, and i started to leave - but noticed this funny looking TOLEX table the guy was using to display some power tools. I asked him what it was, and he said "some kinda electric piano keyboard, I have TWO of them if you're interested".

So, I take the tools off and open the lid to find - an all original Oberheim 4 Voice synth WITH the optional programmer module. And not just one, but TWO of them, in excellent cosmetic condition. Of course they sounded like hell, but they DID work.

Asked the guy how much.....he said "$200".....I countered with $175 out of habit, and he accepted. They were sold within an hour to an LA synth dealer I frequently sold analog gear to, $3750 for the pair....

I found a LOT of synths over the years, and I really miss some of them, like the Jupiter 8 I found for $75....never should have sold that one. Or the Prophet Five with roadcase for $350 with a Roland Juno 60 thrown in free.....sigh.....

DBBlues and infiniteposse like this.
  9. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Late summer 2014. I live in a pretty nice town in Westchester County NY and my wife and I are driving down to a park that happens to be right on Long Island Sound. The route takes us through a really nice part of town and its a Sunday afternoon so some folks put the trash out a little early for the Monday collection. As we're driving by one house I see a old looking guitar case propped up against an old TV that was getting thrown away. I figured it was just an empty case so I wasn't going to stop but my wife persuaded me to stop and take a look. So I park the car and when I pick up the case, I can tell something is inside. My wife is watching me from the car, sees me open the case, eyes bug out and I bolt back to the car with the case tucked under my arm. Someone threw out a totally original '65 Hagstrom I is really nice shape....totally originally. Had it set up and its a great little guitar!

Before I cleaned the gunk off of her..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  10. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

I've told this story on here before but it's been awhile.
    I grew up in a small town in South Texas (Beeville) and moved to Austin when I graduated from high school. It was the early 70's which was a fantastic time to be a guitar player in Austin. So many great players were just emerging like EJ and SRV. Of course BFG was tearing it up and Christopher Cross was still playing frat parties.
    I was in a band with another guitarist that played a '59 Les Paul and an early 60's Flying V. I was playing a '65 Strat.
    Well, I heard through a friend in Beeville that he knew of an old Les Paul that someone was selling. I made a beeline down there to check it out. By the time I had gotten there he had already called Rockin' Robin Guitars in Houston and described the guitar to them. So he then knew that it was a '59 Les Paul sunburst. He got it for his high school graduation present in '58. It mostly stayed in his closet. The going rate at that time was $2500. I borrowed the money from a girlfriend knowing that I could turn it around fairly quickly which I did. I ended up selling it to Eric Johnson a couple weeks later for $3500. He played it on the solo for Minstrel Gigolo on Christopher Cross' first album. He ended up selling it a few years later for $6,000 I think. It was super nice and very clean. Original case, etc. I don't know where it ultimately ended up. Maybe someone from the Gear Page has it!

strike3, DBBlues and lousyatit like this.
  11. mqqse

mqqse Silver Supporting Member

It's been several years ago, but coming home from a fly fishing trip I stopped at a pawn shop about 7 miles from home and saw a silver faced fender amp tagged at $135. Leaned it forward and say the tubes so I was going to buy it regardless. Guy at the counter says he'll eat the tax and $135 OTD it is. I wish I still had that Princeton Reverb...

DBBlues likes this.
  12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

My close friend from college called me in 1981 and told me he had a 63 Strat and a 61 Gibson Les Paul SG. I could have either one for $600. I made a trip down to his house, played both and chose the Strat, mostly because I had the Strat in mind from the beginning. In hindsight, I should have worked a deal and taken them both.

DBBlues likes this.
  13. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

I've got lots of guitar safari stories....her's another one for you.

A good buddy of mine lived on Cape Cod year-round, we had spent many days together playing and buying/trading guitars in College. Anyways, he walked into this hole-in-the-wall record store in the early 90's to find (what looked like) a vintage Stratocaster hanging on the wall behind the counter...

"Is that guitar for sale?" he asked. "As soon as someone makes me a real offer on it" the owner replied. Well, my buddy left the store and went home, thought real hard and went back the next day. He offered the guy $600 at which time the shop owner's eyes lit up and my buddy walked out with the guitar. He sold it to me shortly after that and made a small profit. I still have the guitar and because it came from him, I'll never sell it. Its a fantastic 1965 Strat, one of the last small headstock guitars produced at the tail end of that year.

Here it is with a really nice Princeton Reverb from the same year:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  14. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

My birth year guitar. If only this would happen to me!

DBBlues likes this.
  15. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

I saw that guitar when Eric owned it, man it was clean.

DBBlues likes this.
  16. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

Yes it was! One owner that hardly played it. I wish I could have kept it. But I would have probably sold it when prices were way up. It was probably worth a few hundred thousand at one point. I used to have pics of it but don't know what happened to them.

DBBlues and lousyatit like this.
  17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Told this before. Will keep it short:

1985, went into an old mom & pop sporting goods store in Easton, PA that had been bought by a young guy from the original owners who had retired. Spotted a 1968 Rickenbacker 365 hanging on the wall. It had been there since 1968, unsold. Really. It was NOS, but shop worn. I offered $200, owner said he wanted $400. I said, I'll be back next week. Went back and offered him $200 again. He said no. I said, I'll be back again next week, when will you be here? He said Tuesday. He didn't show. Called him and he said, come back next week on Wednesday. He didn't show. Called him a third time and he said, come back next Wednesday, he will definitely be in the store. Told him I'm willing to negotiate a deal. I go back the following Wednesday, and he stood me up for a third time. He was, "at his mother's house," according to the kid working there. Now, I'm really pissed and ready for revenge. Easton is a good 90 minute drive for me. I'm determined to leave with this guitar.

I said to the kid, "I'll give you $200 for the guitar." He insisted on calling the owner. OK, fair enough. The kid called his house. No answer. He called his mother's house, no answer. Owner is missing in action. The kid says, "OK, I'll take $200 for it. That sounds like a good price to me." I walked out with the guitar. At the time, I felt totally justified, seeing as the owner proved himself to be an unreliable fool who consistently wasted my time. In hindsight, it wasn't a particularly nice thing to do to the poor kid working at the store. For that, I had regrets. Let's just say I would never do something like that to a store clerk again.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    DBBlues and telelion like this.
  18. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

This might have been the one that he traded for a piano. As far as what it would be worth today is concerned, it would still be pricey.

DBBlues likes this.
  19. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

It was a '59 Les Paul that he got in '58? :)

DBBlues likes this.
  20. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Just a short tale [out of many].

An old guy brought his abused '65 JMAS into a store to trade for a Tele, which they wouldn't do [it was ugly].

I snagged the guy and traded him a $325 parts Tele I'd just finished.
    Had to clean it up and re-lacquer it.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

DBBlues likes this.